Bought 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle. Do I need to buy premium 1Password app for Android and iOS?

Options
ykryukov
ykryukov
Community Member

I bought 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle from AgileBits online store. Installed it on my windows 8 PC and successfully applied premium license. However when I installed android app I only got 30 days free trial. My question: Do I need to pay additional $6.99 for Android app and $6.99 for iPhone + $6.99 for iPad apps to enable premium features? Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.2.1 (for Android)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.0
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• peri
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @ykryukov. Thanks for contacting us with your question! I'll be happy to clear things up. :)

1Password is licensed per person, per platform, and is version specific
    . That is, your 1Password 4 for Windows license will register all of your Windows devices for as long as they're running 1Password 4. Your 1Password 5 for Mac license will register 1Password on all of your Macs as long as you're running version 5.

However, since the licenses are per platform, that means the iOS and Android licenses are indeed separate purchases.

1Password 4 for Android is free in the Play Store (as you've noticed) and fully functional for 30 days. After the 30 days, it's limited to its reader functionalities, unless you unlock the premium features through the in-app purchase. The in-app purchase is handled directly through the Play Store and is linked to your Google account. You can unlock the premium features on other Android devices, as long as they're linked to the same Google account.

1Password 5 for iOS is free in the iTunes store, but is not limited to a reader after 30 days. Rather, you have the ability to add and edit items on 1Password 5 for iOS, and the in-app purchase of pro features unlocks extra categories and features. The in-app purchase is handled through iTunes and linked to your Apple ID. You can unlock the pro features on your other iOS devices, as long as they're linked to the same Apple ID. If you use the same Apple ID on your iPhone and iPad, you'll only need to purchase the pro features once.

I hope this clarifies things a bit! Please let us know if you have further questions!

• sirclickalot
    sirclickalot
    Community Member
    Options

I bought 1Password for Windows / Mac and I've just set it up on my Anroind (Nexus 6) only to find that to use the full version I am being asked to pay again.

Surely if I have bought what professes to be the best all round sync solution then that's what it should be, an all one solution for one price.

I am not able to enter and use my existing licence?

Thank you all.

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member
    Options

I too have come to the forums to ask this same question. I think it might be a mistake, because there is no way I would have to $50 for the desktop app, then pay another $10+ for the app. Especially when they advertise as a sync solution...

• peri
    Options

Hey there. I've gone ahead and merged this thread with an existing thread on the same subject. I'll be happy to clear up a few things about licensing. :)

1Password is licensed per person and per platform. Therefore, if you purchase a 1Password for Mac and Windows bundle, you're free to use the Mac license for all of your Mac devices, and the Windows license for all of your Windows devices.

1Password 4 for Android is a free reader app available in Google Play. It comes with a free 30 day trial of premium features, after which the app will remain free, but with reader functionality only. That is, you can continue to sync, view, and fill your 1Password data, but you won't be able to add new items or edit saved ones after the limit of 20 has been reached.

One thing I'd like to point out is that while we do offer built-in support for various sync solutions, such as Dropbox, we ourselves are not a sync solution. We are a password management system which supports syncing between devices.

I hope this clarifies things! Let us know if you have further questions. :)

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member
    Options

To be honest I feel it's pretty misleading (although I would agree that upon reading clearly stated). I feel like your team will get this question time and again, and you would need to consider your pricing model - what advantage are really getting (a part from slightly more money) - and at what risk? You risk alienating your existing, paying customers. I find it totally odd

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cjke,

I do apologise that you feel mislead at all, that certainly was not our intent.

One reason for our approach is that each platform is treated as a separate entity. By that I mean while we don't have feature parity over all the platforms, that is the goal and while we aren't there yet, each version of 1Password is a standalone version that doesn't require any other platform to work. We have people that only use 1Password on 1-2 iOS devices and don't have a desktop, we have people that only use a single Mac. Each person can purchase just the platform(s) they need rather than treating the mobile platforms as slaves to the desktops - a not uncommon approach where there is a free version for the mobile side.

Now the downside is there isn't a way to bundle mobile versions with the desktop version. Even if we look at the integrated Apple ecosphere, there isn't a way to bundle both the Mac and iOS version together as Apple don't have such a mechanism. We can't unlock the iOS version with a code that you obtain when you purchase the Mac or Windows version because that would be against Apple's rules and we'd get kicked out. I don't know the Google Play Store well at all so I can't comment but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something similar. We could give away fully functional versions for the mobile platforms but that would then mean the desktop users are essentially subsidising the mobile users (depending on the overlap).

There are various models out there that could be used with per platform being but just one. Some people like the per platform licensing, some don't and it's quite possible many don't even realise as it has never affected them.

The Mac side of 1Password tends to occupy most of my time so my own personal experiences may not extend to all the other platforms. We do see this question every so often but as far as I've seen it mostly tends to be if somebody is coming from a mobile platform to the desktop rather than the other way round. I can't speak for others but I purchased the Mac version first, loved it and felt that it was worth every penny (I was a customer long before I got to join the team). So I didn't think twice at the price of the iOS version given it meant I could keep my vault with me at all times. That was just me though.

This discussion has been closed.