Choose item details displayed on Apple Watch [request]

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! I'm sorry I don't have more immediate good news for you, but we're on the case! :chuffed:

• @HRD You're welcome! We have a lot of ideas for 1Password for Apple Watch. We're pretty excited to see if Apple has any new tools for us at WWDC in a couple weeks.

• apercy
    apercy
    Community Member

Scroll.... there's a wheel like thingy on the side of a Watch and it is designed to allow the user to scroll through a list of items, like the details of an entry in 1PW... if you're worried about security, then add an option to the Settings on the iPhone app: ALL DETAILS to Watch? 0/I.
    Am I missing something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

if you're worried about security, then add an option to the Settings on the iPhone app: ALL DETAILS to Watch? 0/I.

@apercy: No need! If someone doesn't want any 1Password data on their Apple Watch, they can just leave the Apple Watch setting disabled in 1Password for iOS.

The primary concern on Apple Watch is that no computation (as thus no encryption) happens in 3rd party apps on the Watch itself; rather, this is done on the iPhone. And while iOS encrypts data itself, it isn't done by 1Password using your Master Password. Additionally, there isn't a way for you or 1Password to dictate when the it 'locks' on your Watch; this happens automatically when the 1Password Apple Watch 'app' is removed from memory.

Ultimately, this may not be a concern for everyone, but we don't want to encourage people to just dump everything on their Watch, as there are difference considerations with regard to the security we've grown accustomed to with 1Password over the years.

And if you're anything like me, scrolling through an entire 1Password vault is bad enough on an iPhone; there's no way I'd want to do that with the Digital Crown, no matter how smooth it is. ;)

• apercy
    apercy
    Community Member

@brenty I was just thinking of scrolling through the fields of a single record, not suggesting every pw gets to the Watch. I liken the fact that we get to choose which pws get to the Watch, but seems rather pointless if can't see the record details once its on the Watch.

• @apercy Our current templates only show certain fields for each of the four supported category types. We're listening to feedback and expanding the fields shown and even custom fields are on the list for consideration. That said, I can't promise anything.

And as I said earlier in the thread, we're very excited to see if Apple has any new tools for us at WWDC in a couple weeks that can take apps for Apple Watch to the next level.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I was just thinking of scrolling through the fields of a single record, not suggesting every pw gets to the Watch

@apercy: Ah, that makes much more sense, and lowers my blood pressure. Sorry for misunderstanding! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

hi @chrisdj Any further news on getting PINs to the Watch, as I can't work out what the delay is.

This certainly isn't an issue that will get resolved a WWDC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're not going to release an entire update just to add PINs. When it's ready™. ;) :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, Don't comprehend that. This basic functionality should have been available when the Watch was shipped.

I have to say this delay highlights an ill thought through development process on your part.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

This basic functionality should have been available when the Watch was shipped.

@HRD: It is much easier to say than to do. We're working on improving the Apple Watch functionality of 1Password, but we're not in a hurry, now that we have the benefit of being able to use actual hardware

I have to say this delay highlights an ill thought through development process on your part.

Well, we may have to agree to disagree then. I think the problem we (and other Apple Watch developers) faced was thought, as we didn't have access to a prototype or anything like that; rather, we got our Apple Watches when everyone else did, and we're discovering things we'd like to add or change right alongside you. It's an entirely different experience in person -- and in practice.

“Sometimes the truth of a thing is not so much in the think of it, but in the feel of it.” —STANLEY KUBRICK

But we're not going to drop everything and release a 'PIN-adding' update. It isn't a good use of resources, and it isn't fair to the other things that deserve our attention. Instead, we'll improve 1Password on Apple Watch for everyone if we can, by adding things that will benefit others as well.

Additionally, most of us here don't have credit cards that require PINs. Obviously not everyone's needs are the same, which is why we depend on feedback to see where there are things that we can improve. In that spirit, if there are additional features you'd like to see added in the future, there's no time like the present. Cheers! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty I rest my case.

Not sure where 'here' is but for those of us that travel having ease of access to PINs is an essential feature of any password App.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! As we've mentioned earlier, we will be adding PINs (among other things) in the future.

In the mean time, I'm glad that we're all able to access PINs and everything else on our iPhones! :)

• Hi @HRD,

While I'm not a developer, I am part of the iOS team here and one of the few with an Apple Watch.

While I won't go into super nitty gritty details, adding the PIN code is high on our list, but it is not easy. It requires rebuilding the entire template. That's just how the current WatchKit SDK works.

We deliberately decided to hold off on doing a release until after WWDC. Last year we got a lot of big things in iOS 8, such as extensions, and that had us installing the beta right away. It also had us releasing an update that helped 1Password run better on that beta, as some things changed to break its functionality, and we knew lots of people would be running the iOS beta as well.

Essentially, it is easier for us to respond to what Apple is going to do if we don't have to slam on the development brakes to right as they announce it. Instead, we put things in park so we can give this next week our full attention, then get back to work with a clear path of priorities.

The PIN field is one of our top requests for Apple Watch, heck, maybe the top request. We aren't ignoring it, but at this close to WWDC, we want to be able to map out our work for the summer with full knowledge of what is coming from our favorite fruit company.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @chrisdj,

Thanks for that explanation, which I found most useful.

My main point being is that it would have been most useful if the PIN code had been included from the beginning but we are where we are.

I can do nothing more than be patient and wait.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HRD,

It will probably sound crazy but I believe most US cards don't have a PIN. I know chipped cards are, almost unheard of but even those that have chips, the bank doesn't supply a PIN by default, at least according to the few interactions I've had in the past. It has caused no end of hassle for Americans visiting the likes of the UK where it's now beaten into us to only accept chip and pin or face the wrath of the banks. I'm based in the UK so like yourself used to all my cards having PINs and like you I never remember 3 of them due to how frequently they get used. As you say, hopefully it's just a matter of time :smile:

Saying that it won't affect me in the slightest, I'd need to purchase an Apple Watch first to benefit from the change :tongue:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for that. It is a recurring problem with developers that they always put their home market first and don't appreciate the majority exist elsewhere. Hence @brenty's comment that "most of us here don't have credit cards that require PINs", which is clearly the view of someone that rarely travels.

As I said we we will have to be patient and wait.

• It's true, @brenty & I are US-based, and chipped cards are just starting to be a thing here. I actually am very much looking forward to chip & PIN becoming the mainstream in the US.

I do know our initial thought with the Credit Card item on the Watch was that we didn't want to store the card info and the PIN in the same place because it gets stored in the Apple Device Keychain, which is not a system we have full control over, security-wise. (That said, it is still a pretty darn safe system).

Now, that's just the initial design. We wanted to play things very safe and see how folks use 1Password for Apple Watch. I'd say it is pretty clear that we were too conservative in this particular area. Once our development team is back from WWDC, we'll be back in action on improving 1Password.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @chrisdj,

Thanks for that. Perhaps it would be an idea to 'crowd source' ideas for Apps on occasions, especially when new products hit the market that have different geographical end user requirements. In that way you would be able to cater for all your customers, whilst adhering to the principles of 1Password, rather than just your home market.

• Perhaps it would be an idea to 'crowd source' ideas for Apps on occasions, especially when new products hit the market that have different geographical end user requirements.

I can appreciate the sentiment, @HRD, but when it came to our making of 1Password for Apple Watch, we wanted to keep that a secret until release.

• Titanium31
    Titanium31
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

Hello from France...

In France each payment is done with PINCode, and if do not remember it because of you have more than one card and the one you want to use is not used daily, you can not pay ... So for me the most use of an AppleWatch extension for 1password is the PIN Code, so I do not use 1password on my watch actually because of the lack of the PINCode.

Please provide it ASAP.

And for quick access why not a glance just to launch 1password with the last displayed field ?

Thank's

Daniel

• Hi @Titanium31! We've heard loud & clear that PIN on Credit Cards is necessary. We plan to include this in a future update.

And for quick access why not a glance just to launch 1password with the last displayed field ?

Neat idea. I'll run it past our iOS team.

• Titanium31
    Titanium31
    Community Member

Thank's

• You're welcome, @Titanium31!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Thanks for the latest beta that includes the much requested PIN codes - it took a while but worth the wait.

• Titanium31
    Titanium31
    Community Member

How to Access the beta test please ?
    Titanium

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: You are most welcome! I'm excited for the new changes as well, however...

@Titanium31: Unfortunately we have limited beta slots, and none are available currently. But if we are able to add more testers in the future, we will announce it publicly.

• cocciasik
    cocciasik
    Community Member

Hi all, I bought my Watch a few days ago and I have just realized that you have already ported 1Password to it. Sweet! However, without Credit Card PINs, the app is quite useless for me — in Italy, PINs are heavily used. I see that the level of complains is sufficient enough to put some pressure on you, which is good :-) Really looking forward to seeing that feature (or, even better, custom fields???) in the next release, it would be one more reason to spread the word about your nice product ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Really looking forward to seeing that feature (or, even better, custom fields???) in the next release, it would be one more reason to spread the word about your nice product ;-)

@cocciasik: Me too! I can't give a timeframe on the availability of a future update, but it's in the works. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.