Wifi sync is awsome but there are still features missing

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Android

Hello,
Don't get me wrong Wifi sync is awsome. But there are still so many improvemts that need to be made espacally to the keyboard. I mean where is the support for other langauges? Or the Material Design for the App. And why do we have to typ in our master password to start the sync process. I would like it to be syncing in the background and not in the fourground so that i need to typ in my master password on my pc and android phone. Because when you have to sync ofen and on many devices this can get very anoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ntimo,

I'm going to leave a couple of these matters for those in the team better equipped to answer them but I did want to answer your sync question regarding the Master Password requirement.

Regardless of how you sync, the remote data and the local data are both encrypted. Obviously great for security which is the whole point of 1Password but it does cause problems for syncing. The only way to have bi-directional sync is if both the remote and local copies are accessible and that means your vaults have to be unlocked. This is more apparent with Wi-Fi Sync because it's two copies of 1Password interacting with each other rather than one copy interacting with a sync repository like the .agilekeychain. Does that make sense?

I'll make sure somebody knows there are two more parts to your query that I haven't addressed, just so you're not left hanging.

• Hey @ntimo. I'd like to add a bit to what Adam posted.

We do understand that 1Password 4 for Android isn't perfect, and that there are still lots of improvements to make. Our users first began requesting WiFi sync over a year ago, before 1Password 4 for Android was even released. Many of our users (those in China for instance) have been unable to use Dropbox, which left some people without a supported way to sync between devices on Android. Essentially, adding WiFi sync became a big priority for us over the last year.

That said, we have an open issue to add localization to our keyboard, as well as to implement a Material Design redesign. We understand these features are important to our users, and we're hoping to be able to add these features soon. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hi @peri thanks, for the information I wasn't knowing that. I didn't meant to be rude, if I was Iam sorry for that. I think 1pw is the best password manager out there. And WiFi sync is an important feature. But for me i think its still a bit to complicated.

• Hey @ntimo. I don't think you're being rude at all. :) I understand that there are always ways which we can improve upon the app, and I'm happy to hear about other improvements our customers would like to see implemented.

Out of curiosity, do you feel that WiFi sync is too complicated, or the 1Password app itself? I'll be happy to help with anything that's causing you trouble. Just let me know!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@peri for me WiFi sync should be something happening in the background when I use 1pw app at home an my pc is turned on. But I need to start the sync on my pc witch is pretty annoying and you have to type in your master password. Witch also is kind of annoying. I kno w you do this for security but. It makes WiFi sync a pain for me. I imagine WiFi sync like Dropbox sync just over WiFi in the local network.

• Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I won't claim to be intimately familiar with the security implications of recognizing authorized devices on the same network. I do know that Google does it with Smart Lock, though I don't really understand the ins and outs of how it works.

I will forward your feedback to our developers.

Let us know if you have any other feedback or questions!

This discussion has been closed.