I did something stupid, now what? Gmail hacked !

Options
cliffspicer
cliffspicer
Community Member

Hello,

Let me first say that I love 1Password and use it on my Mac and iOS devices and think it may have saved my bacon but I am not sure. I was waiting on an email from a client who was suppose to send me a document for me to sign. I then checked my gmail for domains account and saw an email from this client with a link in it which I thought would take me to the document I was waiting for; a perfect storm. I clicked on the link and was taken to a google login screen which I kick myself now for, but I entered my credentials and could not find the document and it occurred to me that I have just given access to my google for domains account. Then the disaster happened, Hundreds of emails were sent out of my account to people in my contacts list with the same link and email.

I have used 1Password long enough that my google for domains password was unique and very long and I immediately changed the password as soon as I clued in. What I am curious about is what were these people after and what is the fallout from this blunder I can expect? Is there anything else I can do to protect myself besides changing my google for domains password or should I change every password now on every site even though they are all unique?

Many thanks in advance,

Cliff

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

@cliffspicer. That sounds like spear phishing to me. I would enable 2nd Factor Authentication and use 1Password's TOTP or Google's Authenticator App if you have it. If you don't then download it. Also enable the backup codes.

You might also want to explain what happened to the recipients of those emails.

I have been getting unsolicited attempts like what you described to get me to sign into Dropbox. Very annoying.

Google now has a Password Alert Extension for Chrome that you might want to install if you use the browser.

• cliffspicer
    cliffspicer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. I enabled 2 factor authentication using my cell phone and SMS. Those who got the email from me received exactly the same email as I received and that is a line of text that has a link in in that when you click on the link it takes you to a login page for google and when you enter your credentials that is when all hell breaks loose. The email looked like it came from me as well as had my signature file on the bottom of this bogus email. Looking at the gmail setting that shows you who logged in and where they were from nothing appears suspicious. I was temporarily locked out of my account for suspicious activity but was able to get it back when they sent a code to my cell phone. Hope this clarifies what has happened and thanks for the assistance.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

When in doubt as to the email's authenticity, always look at the email's complete headers. Unfortunately that makes for very complicated reading.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

And also, which is somewhat easier, see what you get when you hover your mouse over the link. You can often see that it takes you to somewhere that is not what it claims to be.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

And also, which is somewhat easier, see what you get when you hover your mouse over the link. You can often see that it takes you to somewhere that is not what it claims to be.

@danco: Just as a caution, depending on which mail client you're using, Javascript can be used to spoof the URL on mouseover in some cases as well. Unfortunately, the only truly surefire way to make certain that you're going where you think you're going is to enter the URL itself into your browser manually.

I have used 1Password long enough that my google for domains password was unique and very long and I immediately changed the password as soon as I clued in.

Ultimately we all make mistakes, and this is exactly what 1Password is for: to protect us -- both from others, and in some cases from ourselves. Whew. Fortunately a unique password means that the malefactor doesn't gain access to everything else when one account is compromised.

This discussion has been closed.