never been able to sink between my Mac and my iPhone

The details are I enter into one password on my Mac and it does not sync to my phone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jp_ryan,

We're going to need some details before we'll be able to assist.

1. Which version of 1Password for Mac are you running?
    2. Which version of 1Password for iOS are you running?
    3. Depending on the versions of 1Password that you have you may be able to sync either using iCloud, Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync. Have you set up syncing yet (it isn't automatic) and did you have a preferred method if you haven't?

This will give us a much better idea of your situation and at that stage we should hopefully be able to assist :smile:

• jp_ryan
    jp_ryan
    Community Member

Mac ver. 3.8.22 -- iOS ver. 5.4.2 -- I've tried with dropbox, wi-fi and I cloud-- it just doesn't work-- the program works fine on my Mac but the syncing is just not intuitive-- it's not easy-- I've never been able to make it work so it's virtually a waste to have it on my phone because I have to manually renter everything . A weird thing about it is the program appears to have performed the Sync when I execute the Sync, but when I check it has not.
    And, is it a conscious corporate decision to not be available by phone?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jp_ryan,

Thank you for the version numbers! Since you're using 1Password 3 for Mac, I've moved this thread to our 1Password 3 for Mac forums so you can get more help for that version if needed.

Unfortunately you won't be able to use Wi-Fi sync between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS, as there were major changes to Wi-Fi sync starting in version 4, so you need version 4 or higher on both the Mac and iOS device for Wi-Fi sync to work. Also, you won't be able to use iCloud sync in 1Password 3 for Mac, as that feature wasn't originally added until version 4.

However, you should be able to use Dropbox sync between your Mac and iPhone. If you have all your 1Password data on your Mac, you can set up Dropbox sync in 1Password 3 by following the steps here. Once Dropbox syncs the .agilekeychain to your Dropbox account, you can set up Dropbox sync on your iPhone, making sure to select the same .agilekeychain.

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with Dropbox sync, please let us know, thanks! :)

• jp_ryan
    jp_ryan
    Community Member

So Why does the program say, "You are running the latest version of 1Password. Thank you for staying up to date" when I click check for updates? When I click "about" the program reports: ver. 3.8.22 (mac)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@jp_ryan: Sorry for the confusion! Version 3.8.22 is the newest version of 1Password 3. 1Password 4 and 5 are completely new, separate apps. They're simply not the same -- with new features, vault format, and code that isn't backward compatible with 1Password 3. Keep in mind that changes you make in 1Password 5 will not show up properly in 1Password 3, because 1Password 3 just doesn't know anything about the new stuff.

In regard to syncing, back in 2009 (when 1Password 3 was created), Dropbox used a completely different sync API, iCloud did not yet exist, and we had a very different Wi-Fi Sync mechanism as well. So none of these could have been built into 1Password at that time. However, since Dropbox has their own client for OS X, you may be able to sync your data between your Mac and iPhone that way (depending on Dropbox support for your OS).

And finally, if you're able to use OS X Yosemite you could upgrade to 1Password 5; or OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks are compatible with 1Password 4. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.