Trouble using 1Password Mini on Chrome.

I have Mini installed on Safari for quite some time, and it works fine. So first a thank-you for the application working so well.

Just went to Chrome. The first URL that I tried didn't work. I click on the icon at the top of the browser, Mini knows about the URL because it goes to the right entry in 1Password. However, it doesn't fill in the ID and password fields on the web page. On the off chance that it is a case of white characters on white background, I clicked the log-in button anyway and disproved that theory. The same URL works just fine on Safari.

After scanning some earlier Q&A, I reinstalled Chrome, get Mini again, rebooted, etc. To no avail. Came here to post the question, and found that Mini fills in all the information just fine! That prompted me to try a few other sites. All work. The first one still doesn't work. Closing and restarting Chrome, rebooting the computer don't change anything. I confirmed that it continues to work on Safari. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mac OS X 10.10.3
1Password Version 5.3 (530029)
Mac App Store
1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.3.1.90
Safari Version 8.0.6 (10600.6.3)
Chrome Version 43.0.2357.81 (64-bit)

Sync Type? I don't think that applies since everything is on my mac.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @ccyoung,

I've moved your post from the Mac forum to the more specific "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

I'd just like to clarify, when we talk about 1Password Mini, we're referring to the app in the very top menu bar of the screen; Mini stays there no matter what application is open. But what I think you're referring to is the browser extension. So just to be sure, do you have the extension installed in Chrome as well as Safari? This will be a 1Password lock icon button next to the web address bar in the browser window. I will assume you do have it for the rest of this post, because that's what I think you meant by "I reinstalled Chrome, get Mini again."

So my first suggestion will be that you try saving that one troublesome login manually in Chrome by following these steps. Then test it out.

If it still doesn't work, please give us the URL to the website so we can test it as well. Thanks!

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

Apologies about the terms -- I don't know the differences :-(

Safari. Everything happened a while ago and cannot recall what I installed or not installed. There is an icon at the top of the browser next to the address. That's what I click to fill in web forms.

Chrome. I click "Install Browser Extensions" and then hit the green button. I have a similar icon at the top of this browser next to the address. And this is what I click to fill in web forms.

Following the suggestion to save it manually. I go to the troublesome web site, enter ID and password, and do NOT actually log in. Click on the icon next to URL, then select "Save new login". It does NOT ask me to enter a name for this login. Huh? There are no error messages. And there is no new entry in 1Password: I sorted the list by date (creation or modification) and there is nothing newer than May. OK, I must have done something really stupid here...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ccyoung: Probably not!

It's entirely possible that there's some Chrome issue, or simply something troublesome about 1Password's interaction with the particular website. In that spirit, if you can tell us which URL you're having trouble with, we can try to reproduce the issue to offer a solution, a workaround, or improve 1Password in the future.

And if you encounter login problems with 1Password at other websites, you can always use our Synapse website issue tracker to report them.

It sounds like this might not be a website issue at all though, since it works in Safari; and not being able to even save a login in Chrome smells like something might be blocking the connection to the extension there. Do you have other extensions installed in Chrome, or security software on your Mac that might be preventing 1Password from communicating? Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

I am uploading another screen image. This is after I click on the 1Password icon next to the URL, there is a drop-down. It recognizes the address (and another one which is similar). Clicking on it (or the other one for that matter) does not fill in the web page. Only on Chrome...

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

Thanks for following up! I have taken a screenshot of Chrome Extensions and uploaded it (filename screen shot Extensions.png). I have Sophos Anti-Virus but no other security software I am aware of. The URL of the site is http://indico.cern.ch/, and then I click Login at upper right to get to https://login.cern.ch/adfs/ls/?wa=wsignin1.0&wreply=https://indico.cern.ch/Shibboleth.sso/ADFS&wct=2015-06-06T16:05:21Z&wtrealm=https://indico.cern.ch/Shibboleth.sso/ADFS&wctx=cookie:1433606721_e0c1 where the actual 1Password interaction happens.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @ccyoung,

Thank you for suppling the URL. I've done a bit of testing and the yeah, we struggle badly with that site but just in Google Chrome. I tested Safari, Firefox and Chrome and in Safari and Firefox we have no trouble. Chrome though, both the stable and beta version of our extension fail to recognise there is something to save and also don't fill. Even creating a basic Login item in the main 1Password window makes no difference with Chrome.

At the moment I have no solution to offer. Everything I've tried has failed in Chrome. I'll certainly report this but it would seem any work of fix will have to be from within the code. Sorry about this :(

ref: OPX-1007

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

Let me know if you like to get in touch with the owners of that site. They are pretty helpful and proactive -- they did develop WWW in the first place!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@ccyoung: Ah, thank you! While we have some recommendations for how website designers can make their sites more accessible -- both to 1Password and folks with disabilities -- we're not really in the business of telling people how to run their sites. But if you have a contact there who would be interested, we'd love to hear from them. I'm personally a fan of theirs historically for the WWW and currently for the LHC. :)

This discussion has been closed.