Site requires tap/click PIN entry to login

Comments

• mazmcgreal
    mazmcgreal
    Community Member

My bank requires I tap my 4 digit password into site, but area to tap changes therefore 1password isn't accepted. Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mazmcgreal: I hope you don't mind, but I've split this off into a separate discussion, since it isn't related to the Bank of America issue.

Unfortunately some sites (primarily financial) force us to jump through hoops like this that don't actually increase our security, only inconvenience us. And in the case of the 'clicky-PIN' types, 1Password isn't able to log you in.

After all, the reason sites are set up this way is ostensibly to prevent malicious automated login attempts, but it has the effect of being equally bothersome for those of us who are legitimately trying to log in to our accounts.

I encourage you to do the same thing I do: let them know the grief they're causing you! In the nicest way possible, I remind them that I'm their customer, and that I don't want to be treated like a cyber-criminal for trying to use a password manager to log me in using a long, strong, unique password that both improves my security and reduces their liability and customer service burden -- because no one will ever guess it!

You definitely have my sympathy (as well as the rest of the good folks at AgileBits), as I'm put through the same process myself with certain sites. The good news is that this list is shrinking all the time as companies decrease our frustration and improve their security in response to customers like us. :)

• mazmcgreal
    mazmcgreal
    Community Member

Thanks Brent, for the information and the suggestions. As this is the case, is there a way for me to stop 1PW from enquiring if I wish to save into 1PW each time I sign into the bank site, actually I am asked twice and have to now also click CANCEL. Any suggestion appreciated.
    Regards Maz

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mazmcgreal: Ah yes! Thanks for bringing that up. An excellent question indeed!

When 1Password is offering to save your login credentials (or thinks it is), click the 'gear' icon in the lower left of the dialog box and select "Never Autosave for this site":

That way it won't prompt you on subsequent visits. Cheers! :)

• mazmcgreal
    mazmcgreal
    Community Member

Thanks again Brenty, so simple. Great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! We're always here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.