Security question

First of, is 1password comupter specific? I mean could someone download 1password on another computer and acces my logins if they had my masterpassword?

Second question, what do I do if my computer crashes? I have synced it with dropbox so am I good to go then? Does it work like then I just reinstall 1password and use the backup keychain I have stored in dropbox and everything is like it used to be?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    conceroro, welcome to the forum!

Your 1Password data is store separately from the 1Password program. It's stored on your local computer—the installer you can download from our web site doesn't have anything to do with the data you save with 1Password after running the installer on your computer.

Here are a few ways that your 1Password for Windows data folder (1Password.agilekeychain) could be shared with another computer:
    • Transferring or copying the 1Password data folder to another computer.
    • Putting your 1Password data under Dropbox sync control on your PC and giving someone access to your Dropbox account.
    • Putting your 1Password data under Dropbox sync control on your PC and setting up Dropbox on another computer that's associated with the same Dropbox account. (This is actually how you share and sync your 1Password data among all your PCs, Macs, and iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 7 devices.)

It's important to realize, though, that someone having access to your 1Password data folder (or a copy of it) does not mean that person has access to your 1Password data. For that, the person would also need to know your master password, the one you use to unlock 1Password. Without the master password, all the person might know is the titles (names) of your Logins and other saved items—nothing about your usernames, passwords, or other confidential information.

I hope that helps, conceroro. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
  • Thx for the answer, feeling safe now :) So if I sync from my windows computer with dropbox to my iphone I could in case of computer crach get it on my computer again with the help of my iphone and dropbox correct?

One problem though that in my iphone I cant see any passwords at all for my logins, so if my computer would crash and I would need to login to dropbox to restore my keychain I dont have the password for drop box. Basically I need to get the password for my logins on my iphone, is that possible, and if so how?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    conceroro, you can see your passwords in the 1Password app on your iPhone, and that's really what you're using Dropbox for: to sync 1Password for Windows on your PC with the 1Password app on your iPhone. You don't actually need the Dropbox app on your iPhone at all.

Don't forget, too, that your 1Password data is on your private Dropbox web site. It's probably a good idea to remember your Dropbox password. I think of it as "the only other password I'll ever need to remember."
  • DBrown wrote:

conceroro, you can see your passwords in the 1Password app on your iPhone, and that's really what you're using Dropbox for: to sync 1Password for Windows on your PC with the 1Password app on your iPhone. You don't actually need the Dropbox app on your iPhone at all.

Don't forget, too, that your 1Password data is on your private Dropbox web site. It's probably a good idea to remember your Dropbox password. I think of it as "the only other password I'll ever need to remember."

But if I have 1password on booth windows and iphone, and have it synced with dropbox I really dont need to know my dropbox password? because If iphone crash I login to computer and get password do dropbox there so I can sync phone again and if the computer dies I login to iphone and get my dropbox password there and can restore my windows 1password, I can to all this as long as I have my master password, is my thinking flawed in some way?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    conceroro wrote:

But if I have 1password on booth windows and iphone, and have it synced with dropbox I really dont need to know my dropbox password? because If iphone crash I login to computer and get password do dropbox there so I can sync phone again and if the computer dies I login to iphone and get my dropbox password there and can restore my windows 1password, I can to all this as long as I have my master password, is my thinking flawed in some way?

In a glass-half-full mood, I might wonder about someone breaking into my hotel room while I'm at the pool and stealing both my laptop and my iPhone. <_<

I could replace them both, but I'd need to know my Dropbox e-mail address and password in order to get my 1Password data back onto the replacement devices. That's why it seems like a good idea to know my Dropbox credentials, too.

(I wouldn't use the same password for Dropbox as for 1Password. That way, even if a bad guy got to my Dropbox account, my 1Password data would still be inaccessible.)
This discussion has been closed.