1Password Application in Windows 7 is buggy

Here is the problem I am experiencing.

How can I Double-Click a Title from within the application and have it log me in the same as if I used the "Go and Fill In" option within my browser (Firefox)?

In other words....the application is great and I want to be able to just double-click on a title and I expect me to log me into that site. I believe this is how it works in OSX but the behavior does not work like this withing Windows 7 or Windows XP.

What am I missing? Is this a bug or the exposure that I did not fully read the manual?

Thanks.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    cland555 wrote:

Here is the problem I am experiencing.

How can I Double-Click a Title from within the application and have it log me in the same as if I used the "Go and Fill In" option within my browser (Firefox)?

In other words....the application is great and I want to be able to just double-click on a title and I expect me to log me into that site. I believe this is how it works in OSX but the behavior does not work like this withing Windows 7 or Windows XP.

What am I missing? Is this a bug or the exposure that I did not fully read the manual?

Thanks.

The behavior in our Windows version is somewhat different, but I do not think this qualifies our Windows version as "buggy" (as the subject seems to imply).

Anyway, if you would like our Windows version to launch the item location in your web browser, then you can change the double-click behavior here:

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General > Double-click

By default, it is set to "edit the item", but you can change it to "launch location in web browser".
  • cland555
    edited February 2011
    Actually...that is how I had it setup. Does not work on my Work Machine (Windows XP) or my Home Machine (Windows 7). The result is the same in both locations. Switching the default browser to Internet Explorer or Firefox makes no difference either...thus my reason for the "buggy" post title.

ScreenShot.png
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Please define "does not work". What happens when you double-click on a Login item?

• Please define "does not work". What happens when you double-click on a Login item?

When you click from the application...it launched the browser as if it is going to work and then you end up at a blank screen within the browser (see below). When using the "1P" dropdown within the browser (i.e. Firefox)...it is able to quickly login. On my OSX version...it too works correctly from within the application.

1.jpg

2.jpg
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    cland555, welcome to the forum!

As Stefan mentions, 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows behave differently in some ways, for several reasons:
    • 1Password for Windows is based on 1Password 2; please see Why doesn't 1Password for Windows look like 1Password 3 on my Mac? in the FAQ section of the user's guide for details.
    • 1Password for Windows is a complete rewrite, rather than a "port" of existing code to a different platform.
    • Windows and Mac OS X are different OSes, impose different restrictions, and themselves behave in different ways.

I don't mean those points as excuses—just an explanation.

That said, please note that the behavior you describe is thoroughly documented in Using a saved Login in the Tutorials section of the user's guide.

I expect 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac to look and work more and more alike, as time goes on, though they'll probably always "leapfrog" each other in terms of features. There will probably always be other differences, too, if only because Windows and OS X will probably always be different OSes.

I hope that helps clarify the issue a bit.

Thanks for your post!
  • cland555
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the explanation. What is the process of being added to a future "beta" program for 1Password (Windows)? Please let me know. Who should I contact on information?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    In 1Password for Windows, click the Preferences tool, select the Updates tab, and enable the Include Beta versions option—you'll automatically start receiving beta builds on your regular update checks. (I imagine it'll be a while before there's anything more formal than that.)

Thanks for your interest, cland555!
This discussion has been closed.