Not populating passwords on sites with java style popup login screen

Dgsaxhitman84
Dgsaxhitman84
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

Ok I hope I can explain this, I have saved a password on a site that does not have its own login screen. As opposed to a separate log in screen, the log in screen is a seperate pop up (probably Java) within that page. The username and password are good but they will not populate any ideas would be great!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dgsaxhitman84: Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately it's impossible to test or offer good suggestions without knowing the site in question. I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this discussion to the browser filling category of the forums.

If you can tell us the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, along with the URL for the problem login form, we'll be happy to take a look and see how we can help. Thanks in advance! :)

• Dgsaxhitman84
    Dgsaxhitman84
    Community Member

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do is the site I am trying to use, Win7-64 with 1password version 4.5.0.575 with the Chrome extension version 4.3.1.90 I would greatly appreciate any help here!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dgsaxhitman84,

So I fired up my VM and visited the supplied URL, https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do. I found the page had a small login window on the left hand side of the page and if I save a Login item from the browser extension it would fill both the username and password fields without any obvious sign that something was wrong. Now I'm not a Citi customer (wrong country) so I can't confirm that the submitting succeeds but the filling seems to be okay.

We might need to learn a little more about what steps you're taking and what you're seeing to see how what I'm experiencing differs from you.

Below is a small screenshot of what I'm looking at to hopefully help in the comparison.

I filled in the two fields and then I followed the steps in Saving a Login manually. I reloaded the page to clear the fields and when I filled in using the newly created Login item it successfully filled the two fields as you can see in that image.

As I say, once we learn a bit more about what you're doing hopefully we can figure out why we're getting different results :smile:

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I've had issue with this site as well. 1Password auto-fill puts the ID and password in the correct fields. There is something wonky going on with the ID field however. My ID is structured like this: "random.userid". What is filled is "random.userid". For some reason this is not accepted. I have to manually retype "random.userid" which is then obfuscated by the website as "ra*********id". This obfuscation process is causing the glitch on this site.

The password field does not have this issue

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dgsaxhitman84: Weirdly, I don't even see a login form here: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do

Please try manually saving your login here instead: https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do

I use Citibank myself, and haven't had any issues since we made some improvements to the extension a few months back, so it may just be that yours needs to be updated so that 1Password has all the information it needs to fill it correctly.

@Superfandominatrix: I hear you. The Citibank login forms are kind of a mess. Fortunately, 1Password has you covered!

The problem is that when you save your login with 1Password, the Citibank form has already mangled your username. So the best thing to do is manually save your login (as I mentioned above), and then edit it in 1Password to enter your un-mangled username. I hope this helps! :)

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@brenty, thank you but that's not what's happening with the log in. 1PW has the correct user ID. 1PW is auto-filling the correct user ID. I know this because I see "random.userid" being filled without asterisks. Also visually confirmed the user ID via the 1PW desktop app.

The problem is that the auto-filled correct user ID isn't being accepted for some reason. I think because the website user ID data entry then obfuscation step is somehow interrupted or not correctly prompted to begin obfuscation after auto-fill. Without the user ID being obfuscated, log in is not permitted. I think copy / pasting the user ID suffers the same issue.

My work around is to simply retype the user ID. Don't even have to look at the browser widget because the correct user ID is already in the field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Superfandominatrix: Hmm. But I don't hear you saying that you tried my suggestion and it hasn't worked for you, so be sure to try that. And if you're still having issues, letting me know the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, and exactly the steps you're taking when you run into trouble.

Since probably March or so I've manually saved the Citibank login several times with several different OS/browser combinations (and also using several different login URLs). Citibank has long been a sore point for 1Password, and as several of us on the AgileBits team have accounts there we've tested (and fixed, and tested again) extensively. Please let me know what you find! :)

• Dgsaxhitman84
    Dgsaxhitman84
    Community Member

@brenty i tried to use the url you provided with no luck i also attempted to create a completely new login using that url with again no luck populating the username (the password populated)

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

Update... I believe something change in 1PW, and for the better. I am able to log in now. My details:

URL: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do
    Platform: OXS 10.10.3
    1PW version: 5.3.2
    Browser: Firefox 38.0.5
    Extension: 1Password 4.3.1
    1PW webform details: USERNAME = enter, User ID = my.userID, PASSWORD = mypassword, NEXT_SCREEN = /AccountSummary

Auto-fill on this site was an issue as recently as the last 1-2 months when I past paid bills. I recall a new version of 1PW coming out during that time?

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

2nd update, as per the post immediately above this one, Citi auto-fill log in is working on my Mac. 1PW auto-fill is ****NOT**** working on my Windows laptop. Sorry, it just didn't stand out to me that the experience was different on the two platforms. Here are my details for the problem on Windows:

URL: Same as above with Mac testing
    Platform: Windows 8.1 Pro
    1PW version: 4.5.0.575
    Browser: Firefox 35.0.5

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@Superfandominatrix: More importantly, we've improved both the extensions and the main 1Password app (which includes the Helper -- the real brains of the operation). 1Password for Mac version 5.3 and 1Password for Windows version 4.5 were both big releases in this regard. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you! :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do since it requires me to first click Sign In at the top to bring up the login form in some browsers (cookies probably).

i tried to use the url you provided with no luck

@Dgsaxhitman84: If you can be a little more specific about the exact steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening for you that may help. Are you getting some kind of an error from the site?

This is what I've done to manually save a new login for Citibank and fill it with 1Password at each of these URLs time and time again:

1. Go to https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do
    2. Type my email address and password into the login form on the left
    3. Click the 1Password 'keyhole' icon in the browser
    4. Select Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Close the tab
    7. Click the 1Password icon
    8. Type "citi" to search
    9. Click the Citibank login to have 1Password open the page and fill the credentials

If that isn't working for you, it may be that you'll need to reinstall 1Password, the extension, and possibly Chrome. Which version of Chrome are you using currently? Since I see that you provided version numbers for everything else, I wonder if that's the thing that doesn't match between your system and mine.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@brenty To be clear, 1PW test results on the following platforms is as follows:

Macbook = PASS
    Windows = FAIL

I'll try the other URL you provided (https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do) and see if that makes a difference .

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

Mac testing as follows:

URL: https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do
    Privacy Extensions: AdBlock Plus 2.6.9.1, Disconnect 3.15.3.1, Ghostery 5.4.5.1
    1PW webform details: USERNAME = enter, User ID = my.userID, PASSWORD = mypassword, NEXT_SCREEN = /AccountSummary

1PW Auto-fill result : FAIL, user ID does not populate at all. Need to recreate the 1PW log in but can't due to the fact I can't manually log into this site at all.
    Manual population : FAIL, with my browser settings and/or privacy extensions the website's sign on button isn't clickable so I can't log in.

1PW Auto-fill result : PASS

Windows testing as follows:

URL: https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do
    Privacy Extensions: AdBlock Plus 2.6.9.1, Disconnect 3.15.3.1, Ghostery 5.4.5.1

1PW Auto-fill result : FAIL, user ID does not populate at all.
    Manual population : FAIL, with my browser settings and/or privacy extensions the website's sign on button isn't clickable so I can't log in.

1PW Auto-fill result : FAIL, user ID populated but not obfuscated with asterisks so the log in session not accepted by site.
    Manual population : PASS, unlike the other URL, the sign on button is clickable with browser and extension privacy settings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@Superfandominatrix: If you're not even able to log into the site manually, I'm afraid that 1Password won't be able to either. I'm able to login both manually and using 1Password at each URL on both platforms, and it seems that it's likely the other extensions (which I am not using) that are causing your login issues — probably due to blocking scripts, which can prevent both 1Password and websites from working properly. You may need to disable or remove some things if they're preventing you from logging in at all.

@Dgsaxhitman84: Does this apply to you as well? It would explain the difference in our experiences if you've also got software that's interfering with scripting in the browser.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@brenty Yes, that is the case with the URL you use. However with the URL I use, the Windows app has a problem. This log on detail works with 1PW on my Macbook. Here are the technical details:

Windows testing

1PW Auto-fill result : FAIL, user ID populated but not obfuscated with asterisks so the log in session not accepted by site
    Manual population : PASS

Macbook testing

1PW Auto-fill result : PASS

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Superfandominatrix: Ahaaaa. Thanks for the description. I see what you mean. The problem is that the javascript in the popup form which obscures the username is not loaded until you bring up the form, so if you have 1Password fill it before then.

Unfortunately 1Password isn't going to be able to load the popup for you first before filling (you need to do that yourself), and I can't find a way to to make the page load the popup by default (some kind of setting on the site that would save a cookie, perhaps).

I don't believe we can do anything about this, since it's just how the site is designed to work, but we'll continue to look into it. In the mean time, you can either bring up the Sign In form before having 1Password fill or simply use the other URL. Thanks again for working with us on this! :)

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@brenty I didn't understand your explanation until I went back to find the pop up you referenced. Let me restate and see if I understand what you mean.

If I copy the URL and load the page into a browser window, the 1PW auto-fill works on both Mac and Windows and permits log in.

If instead I search for the log in record via the browser extension to launch the page and auto-fill the website, the 1PW auto-fill functions but fails to obfuscate the user ID on both Mac and Windows. This is normally how I access websites as I don't keep bookmarks.

Revised test cases:
    Macbook / URL already loaded in browser / 1PW auto-fill = PASS
    Macbook / site accessed via 1PW browser extension search / 1PW auto-fill = FAIL
    Windows / URL already loaded in browser / 1PW auto-fill = PASS
    Windows / site accessed via 1PW browser extension search / 1PW auto-fill = FAIL

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

If instead I search for the log in record via the browser extension to launch the page and auto-fill the website, the 1PW auto-fill functions but fails to obfuscate the user ID on both Mac and Windows. This is normally how I access websites as I don't keep bookmarks.

@Superfandominatrix: I understand this, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. But again, 1Password cannot force the page to open the "Sign In" menu and/or load the script which is used to obscure the email address. When you have 1Password Go & Fill as you describe, that is exactly what it will do, but because this happens before the page loads the script the form does not work correctly (as you pointed out earlier):

This obfuscation process is causing the glitch on this site.

The most convenient solution for you will be to use an alternate URL that does not use the problem form, such as the one I posted previously: https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do

I'm sorry for not being more clear. I hope this helps! :)

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@brenty no apology necessary! we were both working towards talking about the same thing :p

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

It might be worth a bit of a recap at this point. Given that open and fill can't work on this popup window that @brenty showed me recently (I still haven't stumbled upon it myself yet, probably because I'm not a customer), does anything else that brenty has suggested work for you?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dgsaxhitman84,

You seem to have been forgotten about a bit - sorry. Where do we stand with your attempts to get this working?

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables I don't really plan on doing anything differently. If I try to launch the site from the browser extension, I merely have to retype the user ID I see on screen. If this becomes too annoying, I'll first copy the log in from the browser extension, load the webapge, then auto-fill. I don't like the URL suggested by Brenty because I'd have to strip all the privacy tweaks from my browser. I'm good!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Sorry we couldn't find a solution that fit in with your preferred workflow @Superfandominatrix. Windows that require being 'activated' will likely remain something we need to work around given the complexities and variations found in all the websites rather than something I envisage we'll be able to open prior to filling.

My dream is one day websites look at Amazon's clean interface as a guideline on how a login process should be. Nice and simple so it's easy for the user and for the web developer too.

• Dgsaxhitman84
    Dgsaxhitman84
    Community Member

I have attempted to manually save the login using the url you suggested and was still unsuccessful. I have 0 extensions running on Chrome and am still running into a wall with this what can I do to help you help me?

• Dgsaxhitman84
    Dgsaxhitman84
    Community Member

With this Citibank issue if I have multiple different accounts all with Citi that I have saved would that "confuse" the system?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dgsaxhitman84,

From the perspective of 1Password and filling multiple Login items doesn't have an impact. When you select an item to fill with 1Password uses that and will attempt to fill in the required page. Of course anything you do to one Login item, be it alter it or create a new one would only affect that item. If we have an issue that needs to be address over each Login item it would have to be done individually.

Now cookies in your browser may mean the webpage is behaving differently for us, that part is harder to quantify.

Here's what the www.citi.com website looks like for me.

I followed our How to manually save a Login guide and the Login item it created filled for me when I reloaded the web page. Here's the item I created.

onepassword://share/1?d=U2FsdGVkX184RDlCQjgyQ4zx%2BxBx4VtTZIYdoIsVtf23q0z83U3%2FqMzcbQXoQw6DuxmrEhU4Igm7js%2F6xGuVVLSADXpbonyucMTU%2Bmir%2Fx9FMh%2BzyJL3X7%2BPflW%2Foel5f%2BQmMB4qH4XFFAaXKV9bJzkViCBgdAfSn25XB3knvoukdIztuklpDzijjUVo3MlamwTqN8DON5MBtSU066Yw3WB3SE9fCxBtw7taXlYLEYo60tzscLfnJSgaRHNLi46SxUQkib%2FazMs6GoDhc1nP8PWxvMqWYxKbajPbzWlkov8ShXaVctak2FNh1t%2FHikamRM1n4xDSXyrM%2B247SLntF0WWfozmZ0%2FarmW8uOpMStP2OchOVcyR0ExQYI6tOFjsVvmcByxg8DersiD5370Ypy85W%2FPKD9UHWJqMmDJX2qrjYOZVVhSD2%2B540o%2BamUfUhCT8nTFLPaHPweT4yUrbpi1Zfh5V653dw6n9jUvsd3RK7DbSr6jLQt77AUDYVseitOXDOdXrNmkyt7MVWdiPYap8eivyvAQfMhC%2F6UxEQGPeYQy8oBJ7OYGABVI6QXvFwX9WhyoQu7Nqn1A6K5PJMRBqprKFbjT4O%2BMnQJXqPw6ImUV3kzF7mOItatYxjVJGCMdUIUdnrMAVjZfACrapY4EFjC2YoenTg6nV%2FmHmBvtcB%2BElkI4JoUxpM97yAwCR4Bb%2BsH%2BbGbJqqo86YXLP08bTVkcuzAy4Hhctc0MqubhPLlKGXZQf4eSVmRO%2F69A0gc%2BtIqK%2FYx8LbWADvaXdFiu78wkBsA7dcyGSUugDsmefGr5NBz56WnMI%2BjxQAztgYikIPJXyiVovvhMpB0tKpj5y1071pZveAzax6sJgDVw6UolzmpQHMWoZdRfoKtFYWvBU08DXjksXUstNQ4iIOTnVD9IFA6d%2FczWSw2w4RatzgwhOuR6xoFx5d9o%2Bq8kFdOPrwLG3xL053R2S92sGAC49o%2Burl8cLIglaL365Z25P8P9JGsrD2Au7FXWUw1Fh

If you were to copy the entire block of text and paste into your vault using the standard ctrl+v keyboard for shortcut it should ask if you want to Add LBT's citi.com to your 1Password vault? What you've just done is create an exact duplicate of my test item that fills in on https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do

Now, does that page look the same to you (I know, a visual inspection has it's issues but it will point out the glaring ones) and does that item fill at all for you?

Now for the same at online.citibank.com. The page looks like

and my item that works is reproducible using the following

onepassword://share/1?d=U2FsdGVkX18wNkVENjhEQe7tEWaMThtU%2Bn8ZEnaDMrLMnyeAFI8SXFEHluihVuz2LoRWwqMG9vMNBGEzx83%2BW5pdN6W3oIkJlaHgTiaAtKEgAg%2FIT0jlwUioz7TyIAOfMug0Ouja%2BTZx%2FgwqQUSe6RrlQhRHZ49xK%2Bz3eIJTM%2B7ev4Ua9lztImHdvlX%2FSuPUXw2XoJubJgdSitLzsoCoGYo7Z6yrVbgoMyf%2FjiH%2B%2BUqRE1Bt4fTpeOl7zH2krXY4qlmbolEiZi3yEiB4Rlu5SdY7zQidRX8lfPTiKcHaxHzVMeHJ%2B5P3Rr2wTzu%2BrICKkJNA7AATD7b8AgH5egI%2BIdj1z8f82q4Kd0NFMH9VDpC4qVVNwAiq973Rffzvy4N6JlHmYc9ROGIqSztxBTrg26tYhZhIzG2HGs3MZ2E1kN%2FLvijZQ0IcQH7odpqB%2FMespEnQd24we50Hjiq52aOiTR4FbIuVZkFMYal6eBAwBv3YpY%2BbgK4%2FjzvqqyClXvkHCDCPYMulwfDSThdPZk0uSek4tORrsXo8ZuWIzmDPnPrHTDr%2Bs6uUMoc7TnvvSQ7m%2BeDI3hyuX81DnWCAk%2B1Ovn7kN%2F2AUPRRt76IhKpSSDnquOY2Ibky06DWVhJnfEuv0PL1imOmAvgfyRB7EPZT%2FH10vxz9OVPs1HhvSfl1GC%2FLnSUSfI9q%2FqVqqnfRcEdeD5w15ahBJir4Wwu%2Bw6ZYIAOZOBf%2BMG6y4ACuLJ61XH5%2BrDECpkaf26PhBrJuQCulxfJZaSJQZec2vWAZkeGLOuqDVnwrygEWnp%2BGIv6qrIb%2Fb4syFd4GmRaWS0HEfNF7yCp57Az%2FriogKegOw4GhkbH2DShZqhuJIDntFEaAs7Y%3D

I titled both items with LBT's as I thought that should help ensure a) no conflict with anything in your vault and b) an easy way to identify the item.

Now I'm running Chrome 43.0.2357.124 m and I'm on the 32bit version of Windows 7 rather than the 64bit one. Both our 1Password's and extensions are the same. I'm just throwing that in on the off chance it's a factor although how we easily proceed if it is will be a question for another day.

Let's see how you get along with this and how your experiences compare to mine. If my test items work you can compare a manually saved item from your vault with my one and maybe it will help determine if there is a difference.

This discussion has been closed.