On Bank of America online banking, user name works but on next page my sitekey password won't fill.

On Bank of America online banking, user name works but on next page my sitekey password won't fill.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@daveknox2: I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this discussion to the browser filling category in the forums.

Please follow the steps in this guide to manually save a new Login item with your password at the 'sitekey' page.

Then, edit the new Login item and enter your username into the, well...username field, and save it. That way you'll have both steps of the multi-page login condensed into a single Login item for you to use.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member

I have to admit I'm confused by the order of doing what. In the end it looks like I have the same login as my original, it's just that the URL is different.

In my original login the URL is http://www.bankofamerica.com/ and in the new login the URL is https://secure.bankofamerica.com/login/sign-in/entry/signOn.go

Anyway, the multi-page login doesn't work in either case.

doug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@douglerner: Without knowing which OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, it's difficult to give accurate instructions, but I'll try my best! Please do the following:

1. Go to https://www.bankofamerica.com/
    2. "Enter your Online ID", but do not "Sign In"
    3. Click the 1Password 'keyhole' icon in your browser
    4. Click the Settings 'gear' icon, select "Save new Login", and name it something like "BofA"
    5. Reload the page and "Sign In", using 1Password to fill the username to make sure you saved it correctly
    6. If required, enter your security answer (1Password cannot fill this for you, as the question changes)
    7. Enter your "Passcode" but do not "Sign In"
    8. Click the 1Password 'keyhole' icon in your browser
    9. Click the Settings 'gear' icon, select "Save new Login", and name it something like "BofA2"
    10. Close the browser tab or window to start over and test the login

At this point you'll have a separate login for the username and password steps in the process, but we can take it even further and combine them to make it much simpler:

1. Open the main 1Password app and locate the "BofA2" Login item from step 9
    2. Click the "password" field to copy your password
    3. locate the "BofA" Login item from step 4
    4. Click the Edit button in the lower right corner of the item details
    5. Click in the "password" field (which is currently empty) and paste your password there
    6. Click the button in the lower right corner to Save the Login item
    7. Click the "website" URL to open https://www.bankofamerica.com/ and fill the login
    8. If you have Autosubmit enabled, you'll be immediately taken to the next step, where you can simply press ⌘ \ to have 1Password fill and submit your password as well.

I hope this helps! If you're having any trouble just let me know where you're getting stuck, and tell me what your setup is so I can personalize the instructions better. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

P.S: I'd forgotten this as well, but I'm definitely looking forward to a (hopefully) more streamlined login process for Bank of America later this year:

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member

Hi. The info about my system was in my original post, but somebody there moved it from "Mac" to this section. I'm using OS X 10.10.3, 1Password 5.3.2, and the latest browser extension for Firefox. I'll try what you suggested and write back.

Thanks,

doug

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member

Hi again. I also got the notice about the more streamlined login for B of A coming soon.

Anyway, I followed your instructions and it worked.

Actually, what I ended up with was a login exactly equivalent to my original login!

The missing info was that I all I needed to do was press ⌘ \ to fill in the password on the password page. Unlike some two-page sites, this one doesn't seem to autofill the password and go on.

Thanks very much,

doug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi. The info about my system was in my original post, but somebody there moved it from "Mac" to this section. I'm using OS X 10.10.3, 1Password 5.3.2, and the latest browser extension for Firefox. I'll try what you suggested and write back.

@douglerner: Ah, I'm sorry about that! We try to move things around a bit to avoid confusion, but I apologize that in this case it actually caused some. :(

The missing info was that I all I needed to do was press ⌘ \ to fill in the password on the password page. Unlike some two-page sites, this one doesn't seem to autofill the password and go on.

Ah, excellent. Thanks for clarifying! There's an important distinction between multi-page logins like Bank of America and most other sites, so it can be easy to miss -- especially when 1Password is able to log you in using a single step most of the time.

Think of it this way: when you tell 1Password to Go & Fill a login, it uses the information it has to do so. It:

1. Navigates to the Login item's URL
    2. Fills the username and password
    3. Submits the form (with Autosubmit enabled)

At this point, 1Password is done, because it's done exactly what you asked it to. So if another page comes up with another login form, 1Password isn't going to take action on your behalf without you telling it to do so. So at this point, you can press ⌘ \ to tell 1Password you want it to fill again, using a login for the current site.I hope this helps! :)

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification, Brenty. Also, in this case, 1Password also was smart enough to not enter the password on the first page because there wasn't a field for it, right?

Thanks,

doug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Thanks for the clarification, Brenty. Also, in this case, 1Password also was smart enough to not enter the password on the first page because there wasn't a field for it, right?

@douglerner: Ah, good catch! You are absolutely correct. I have to admit it's something I don't even give a second thought most of the time, because I know 1Password will do the right thing and not go filling my password all over the place. Very nice. :)

This discussion has been closed.