Enhancement Request: Chrome & Chromebooks

CVBruce
CVBruce
Community Member

I use the 1Password Chrome extension in the Chrome Browser on Mac OS X. Because I have my google accounts sync'd this causes the extension to be installed in the browser on my Chromebook. Needless to say that on my Chromebook there isn't a local 1Password database. So I get error messages.

If the 1Password extension for Chrome was enhanced so that when it can not find a local copy of 1Password, it would offer to switch to 1Password Anywhere (perform necessary setup, and remember that choice) then it would make the product much more user friendly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CVBruce: I hear you! I'm sorry to say that we don't currently have plans to add ChromeOS support (which would essentially would entail storing 1Password data in the extension, as you describe).

As it stands, we're reluctant to store any data there, as constant discovery of new security vulnerabilities isn't going away any time soon, and web browsers are a huge target in this regard.

Also, 1Password mini/Helper handles the encryption and the communication with the extension, because there is a lot that simply cannot be done within the confines of browser extension APIs. Certainly we'll continue to evaluate this as things progress though, so I'll never say never!

I do find the 1PasswordAnywhere idea interesting though. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• CVBruce
    CVBruce
    Community Member

Yes, I agree that you can't support every environment out there. What I really want is that when you discover that you are in an unsupported environment, that the chrome extension switch from local 1Password to 1PasswordAnywhere. I've added a bookmark to 1PasswordAnywhere on my bookmarks bar in ChromeOS, and I think it really meets most of my needs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I really want is that when you discover that you are in an unsupported environment, that the chrome extension switch from local 1Password to 1PasswordAnywhere.

@CVBruce: Ah, thanks for clarifying! We'll certainly consider that as we develop 1Password going forward. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.