A suggested new Category

Options
mlinders
mlinders
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Lounge

Hi there. Just love your 1Password and use it to store lots of extra info. Have you ever thought of adding a new Category "Hardware"? At the moment I use your "Software" category and just add the word Hardware in front of the title. I find it perfect to keep all my hardware info in place eg S/N, purchase price, date, where from and even scan and attach the receipt, registration and any other info I may have. I then know where to find it all if I need to reference any of it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DaphneP
    DaphneP
    Community Member
    Options

+1. While I tend to use the server and/or software for this ( as well as using the MacTracker application ), a generic hardware category might be nice. Especially with the number of smart devices/IoT these days.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

This has been discussed before and Agilebits have said they're not interested in doing an inventory management system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaphneP, @mlinders: Thanks for the feedback! Indeed, this isn't really something we plan on adding currently; but we'll certainly take it into consideration as we develop 1Password going forward.

However, a number of customers have expressed an interest in custom categories, so I think that if we revamp this that may be the direction we go, in order to do the most good for the greatest number of people. Cheers! :)

• DaphneP
    DaphneP
    Community Member
    Options

For me it's not so much an inventory tracker issue ( I have other solutions for keeping track of warrantees etc. ) as it is IoT device passwords, for example in my case some lightbulbs, thermostat, washer/dryer, car monitor, etc. In many ways the passwords for those types of devices is more important then the password for a typical website. Custom categories seem like a good way of doing that, though the server category plus custom fields / tags works for me.

• mlinders
    mlinders
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all for the feedback. Will just continue as I am at the moment and will wait and see what the future holds!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaphneP: Ah, understood. Thanks for clarifying! Yes, you can certainly do some creative custom field-work to get the result you need right now, but I think we'd both be happy to have something like custom categories in the future. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.