Moving from Dropbox syncing to Wifi

Options
DaveRo
DaveRo
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 1P set up to sync using DropBox across multiple platforms (windows PC, iphone, ipad, PC @ home). My corporate office just put some "security features" in place stopping network traffic from Dropbox. The 1P on my computer hasn't been synced in a while. It looks like for WiFi syncing, I have to initiate it, correct? If I use WiFi syncing on one computer, can the other devices still sync through Dropbox? Before I make any changes I want to be sure I understand.... Thanks! Dave

1Password Version: 4.5.
Extension Version: 0.575
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• LauraR
    Options

@DaveRo - yes, you can sync using WiFi on this work computer and then use Dropbox to sync your other devices. You need to manually initiate the WiFi sync and we have a great guide here.

• DaveRo
    DaveRo
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! Thanks... I'll check out the guide and give it a try.

• LauraR
    Options

@DaveRo - You're welcome. If you have any more questions just let us know.

• DaveRo
    DaveRo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm prompted to download Bonjour for Windows... Is this a required piece of software?

• DaveRo
    DaveRo
    Community Member
    Options

Also, when I set my ipad to sync with Wifi, I'm being prompted to "disable sync" with Dropbox... Do I have to disable sync with dropbox then enable it after the wifi sync?

• LauraR
    Options

@DaveRo - Yes, Wi-Fi Sync relies on Bonjour for device discovery.

• DaveRo
    DaveRo
    Community Member
    Options

another issues/question... my computer is on 'the other side' of a firewall and can't be accessed over the wifi network. Can I go to the dropbox website and download the 1P files rather than wifi sync?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DaveRo,

If your work haven't blocked the web site, yes; you should be able to download the folder as zip, unzip it on the drive, and direct 1Password to read it.

The problem is if you make changes on that specific PC, how do you push it back to the other side? You might want to re-upload it as a compressed file onto Dropbox.com and unzip it on the other side, which means you'd have to overwrite or delete the original folder to rename the recently de-compressed folder to the same name.

My suggestion for simplifying this process is to get a local sync tool to sync between your 1Password folder and your USB drive, so that you can do the same on the other PC, bypass Dropbox completely.

• DaveRo
    DaveRo
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, Mike. Now that you mention it, syncing by download does present its problems. Thanks for the suggestion

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome. If there's anything else we can do for you, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.