Feature request: Add separators in password generator.

Xavier Michelon
Xavier Michelon
Community Member

Hi.

I sometimes need to enter password manually (on linux, game consoles, etc...). To facilitate manual input, I generally put separator in my passwords. For exemple, if the password generator gives me eLfkoz9YLAFEKCnZ4WqD, I manually transform it into eLfk-oz9Y-LAFE-KCnZ-4WqD.

I'm no encryption expert, but my first guess would be that using such pattern does not weaken my password strength. Am I correct?

Could it be possible to have this transformation implemented in the password generator as an alternative to Diceware passphrases, with options such as the separator and the packets size.

Xavier

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Xavier ( @Xavier Michelon ),

Thanks for the suggestion! You don't mention which versions of 1Password you currently use, but I can tell you that there is an option in the Mac version of 1Password. Just select 'show password recipe' and select the 'pronounceable' option.

I hope this helps, but I'm happy to share your thoughts with our team. :)

• Xavier Michelon
    Xavier Michelon
    Community Member

Hi Megan.

Thanks for the reply. I run 4 versions of 1Password -Win, Mac, iOS, Android. I had a look a the 'pronounceable' feature of the Mac version, and it perfectly fits my needs. Unfortunately these days I work mostly on Windows, and I hope this feature is coming to the Windows version of 1Password in a near future.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @Xavier Michelon ,

I'm so glad that helps! I'll let our Windows team know you'd like to see this feature there as well ... although Windows has a handy option that might be even more useful - Diceware. The Diceware generator will create a password using a random string of words. This is often much easier to remember, and it's definitely easier to type. :)

This discussion has been closed.