followed instructions to disable device but still connecting...

Options
jeffwrule
jeffwrule
Community Member

I lost my iPhone (Stolen?). Changed my dropbox password to stop syncing based on a quick google search article I found. Then started changing my important passwords. I was surprised when my iOS (my ipad) device could still sync (first article just said to change drop box password). I then found the article on you web site that says you have to remove it from the approved devices list as well. So I ran the following test with my IOS device (my iPad)

1) I removed the iOS device (my ipad) from the approved devices list as well on dropbox.
2) quit 1password on ipad.
3) added a new secure note (just to test) on my osx device.
4) restarted 1password on my iOS device and did a sync.

The new note is on the iPad. The device is still syncing. How do we REALLY stop a device from syncing 1password from dropbox.

1Password Version: ios: 5.4.2 osx 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.10, ios 8.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

@jeffwrule

You would need to revoke access to the app (1password). The removing the mobile device from the approved list only invalidates the Dropbox app and it's syncing ability on that mobile device you removed.

Edit :

A lot of people think apps sync thru the Dropbox app directly but this is not the case. They have there own communication to the Dropbox servers thru various API's. This is why breaking the Dropbox app access had no influence on 1Passwords ability to sync.

End edit:

The 1Password app still retained its sync authorizations because you did not specifically revoke access for that app. This is my understanding of how it works.

This wiki article found via google shows how to removes an apps access in yourDropbox settings.
    http://m.wikihow.com/Unlink-an-App-in-Dropbox

I apologize for not grabbing the official Dropbox help topic, but Im on my iPhone and away from my Mac. I think this will get you started. If you have any further questions or follow up, please post back, Ill follow this topic so I get pinged if you do.

As you have found changing your password has no effect on the Dropbox sync process. Dropbox has long embraced the once linked always linked via a security token mentality. Many people would prefer a password change to invalidate that token. Myself included.

To stop the Dropbox app from syncing you must invalidate the token. You do that by removing it from the devices list. Mac iOS etc.

~thightower (Tom)

1Password and Dropbox moderator

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jeffwrule,

I asked @thightower to chime in here due to his extensive experience working with Dropbox. I hope his reply above was helpful. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the assist Tom!

Ben

• jeffwrule
    jeffwrule
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff & @thightower,

My second test from above did remove the 'tested' device from dropbox's approved device list and that device could still sync.

If I read this correctly @thightower is saying that you have to remove the 1password App access which would invalidate all access from all devices. Is that really what you have to do?

If that is the case then the support document describing what to do if your device is lost or stolen ( https://support.1password.com/lost-device/ ) should be updated to include those instructions. Currently it states that removing the device from the approved list is enough, I think.

I followed the instructions from here: https://support.1password.com/lost-device/ and removed my iPad from this list in dropbox. However, I can still sync that device even after it has been removed from that list.

• richreynolds
    richreynolds
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @jeffwrule, @bwoodruff & @thightower.

I'm one of Tom's fellow moderators over on the Dropbox forums.

I can confirm this behavior and Tom's reply. Unlinking the device from Dropbox only applies to the Dropbox app itself. Any applications on that device, such as 1Password, that have access directly through the Dropbox API will remain active. It seems that they need to be "uninstalled" from the Dropbox Security page in order to prevent their access.

As you've indicated, @jeffwrule, this will break the connection for that app across all your devices. Restoring that connection on your other devices, at least in the case of 1Password, was as simple as reauthorizing the app in Settings (after I had relinked the device to Dropbox).

Hope that helps...
    Rich

Dropbox Moderator

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for jumping in, @richreynolds! Great information there.

This discussion has been closed.