Feature Request: Profiles dependent on Network connection (Like your WLAN Name)

Options
JohnKnust
JohnKnust
Community Member

Hi,
on mac i use every day your fantastic app. I use my mac at work and i want to have strict options when the safe get locked. At home it isn't so crazy and i don't want to type my password all the time. It would be awesome when the options could change at each place i work.

1Password Version: last
Extension Version: last
OS Version: last
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JohnKnust: Ah, that's an interesting idea! I'm not sure that the network name would be a good idea since that can easily be spoofed, but we may be able to add a way to have multiple settings 'profiles' in the future. I can see how it would be appropriate to have a more secure policy away from home! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe identify the network by the MAC of the default gateway? Should be unique and reasonably hard to spoof.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne: I might be misunderstanding, but how would the MAC address be hard to spoof? :dizzy:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Technically, it's not, assuming you know what it is. In the scenario we're dealing with here, it's highly unlikely that an attacker would know which MAC to spoof. Network range is easier. It's a fair guess that starting with 192.168.1 will hit at least 50% of home networks.

If you are in a situation where someone is targeting you enough to be physically following you to find your home network then you probably shouldn't be using reduced security at home in the first place.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, understood. That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying! :)

• DaphneP
    DaphneP
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder how many devices leak the home mac address. See http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/03/anatomy-of-an-iphone-leak/ for an example.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder how many devices leak the home mac address.

That's sort of irrelevant for this use case. If someone knows how to find you home router and yet does not have access to your PC then compromising your 1Password security settings by spoofing the MAC doesn't help them. If they do have access to your PC then you have far bigger problems.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Indeed. I do still find it fascinating to understand problems like this though. And it's important to be aware of them since — you never know — new vulnerabilities can sometimes take advantage of old 'harmless' ones as part of a suite of exploits. :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.