OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yuanthomas,

Are you asking about the one-time password feature in 1Password 5 for Mac? If so, you can find information about that here: Time-based One-Time Passwords (TOTP)

If I misunderstood or you have more questions, please let us know. Thanks!

• yuanthomas
    yuanthomas
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew - no i meant we need a 2 factor google authentication when logging into 1Password. Do you guys carry that?

For example - log into 1password, then after login, it prompts for me for a 2 factor authentication through lets say google auth token generator

see example: http://sb.d.pr/1hvWT/4482ZT5g

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yuanthomas,

We don't support 2FA for unlocking your 1Password vault. For why you might find the following links of interest.

What part of it comes down to though is 2FA in 1Password (rather than TOTP support for 2FA enabled sites) won't help your security given what 2FA is designed to combat. Yes we could superficially add 2FA but if somebody has your Master Password and access to your vault then they can simply bypass the actual 1Password application and use what they know to decrypt your vault using standard libraries. I'm not our security expert but if 2FA can't be baked into the vault (and I don't see how it can) then it would create a false sense of security and obviously anything that does that isn't good for you as the user.

Two Factor Authentication is a layer added to the traditional username/password and it's about should somebody have access to X? The encryption is at a different layer and it's that you have X but it will remain encrypted until the correct key is supplied.

You probably will have follow up questions so do please ask away and we'll do our best to answer :smile:

This discussion has been closed.