Do I need to spend an extra $60? I mainly use iPad but do want option of occasionally using MacBook

Options
sueK
sueK
Community Member

Hi I recently purchased 1Password for IOS 8. I have iPhone 5, iPad retina and MacBook Pro. In order to be able to sync with the laptop do I need to purchase the Mac Store 1Password product. It is over $60 which seems excessive for my use. Please advise.
I don't really mind what system I use to sync eg wifi or iCloud but I would prefer not to have to purchase another product.
Sue

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

1PW is sold per platform, so yes you will have to pay for the MacBook version.

You could wait until there is a sale, they are fairly frequent but I have no idea when the next one will be. Or perhaps look for a bundle including 1PW. They are announced on Fabeook and Twitter.

Please note that if you want iCloud sync you must buy 1PW from the Mac App Store, due to restrictions by Apple.

Dropbox sync is possible with the version from AgileBits (and all versions). Many of us, including many AgileBits staff, are happy with Dropbox sync. The version from AgileBits has a thirty-day trial period.

• sueK
    sueK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sueK,

Now depending on what you deem occasional use you might find that 1PasswordAnywhere would be sufficient for your Mac needs but it really does depend on the level of usage you envisage. 1PasswordAnywhere would allow you to view your vault in a read-only format and it's lacking all of the features that our Mac application has (such as the extension, automated backups and so on) but if you really do just need access to the occasional password then it might be enough. For anything but the most limited usage though it would probably drive you nuts as it isn't intended as a desktop replacement. Just thought I'd throw that in as a possibility :smile:

• sueK
    sueK
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sueK,

On behalf of littlebobbytables and danco, you're welcome!

If you'd like to try the Mac app before you buy, you can download it from our website and run it in trial mode without any limitations or obligation for 30 days. After 30 days, the app will run in restricted mode until you add a license.

And as danco mentioned, you can keep an eye on our twitter and/or facebook for sale announcements! :) Thanks for your support!

This discussion has been closed.