got rid of my Mac OS without having a backup of 1Password

Options
jkeleher
jkeleher
Community Member

I sent the following email to Dave earlier and was directed here. Here is what I sent him:

Dave,

Occasionally I do impulsive things that I later regret. I did on such thing last night-I got rid of my Mac OS without having a bacup of 1Password or having the foresight to use 1Password Anywhere. Fortunately my email is all online and I remember the passwords to a select few of my things plus my Master Password. I also kept a few email with licenses for 1Passwords and have the Key.

My question is there any way that I would be able to access all my passwords without having a backup. I actually think that I might have a backup on Dropbox but that is not one of the passwords that I remember. I did try to get 1Password Anywhere-a couple time actually-but my download came up with that issue that so many people experienced with one key file missing and I never tried again but I've been meaning to because I would love to use it at work and I am trying to use my Bootcamp Partition again-the whole reason for the Clean Install-instead of having a complete separate license.

Jonathan Keleher
Concord, MA

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jkeleher,

So if you have no backups of your Mac prior to wiping OS X then your only hope is if you enabled syncing. Part of why many of our users love 1Password is your data is completely under your control. We do automate backups but only locally inside your Library folder and your data doesn't leave your device unless you specifically set up syncing.

So if there is a good .agilekeychain in Dropbox and if you can regain access to the account (https://www.dropbox.com/forgot) then you're in luck. If you can't regain access or the .agilekeychain is damaged (I only mention that as you say you were having issues with 1PasswordAnywhere) then sadly it would seem your options are limited to a new vault. I hope the Dropbox angle works out so please do keep us informed.

This discussion has been closed.