Wifi sync not updating change in master password

_hyperion_
_hyperion_
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 4.5.0.575 on my Win 8 desktop and 5.4.3 on my iPhone 5S. I was able to set up the wifi sync fairly easy, no problem. I don't sync everyday or so, only when I update things. The updates are done mostly on my desktop.

Over this week I changed a couple of my passwords and stuff including the master password. When I wanted to sync updates to my phone, I went to Settings>Sync>Sync Now on my phone, nothing happened. Tried it a couple of times, still nothing. Figured I'd disable the sync and enable it back again (Settings>Sync>Sync Service>Disable). It worked, it listed my desktop, secret phrase matched and also asked me the master password for the key on my desktop, I entered my updated master password and everything was synced.

Since I'm using TouchID I haven't had the need to use my master password on my phone, until I restarted it. After which the updated master password wouldn't open the vault. I tried the previous one, it worked. This is strange considering the updated password works on the desktop. How can two different password unlock the same vault, or by doing a wifi sync am I just transferring the data of one vault to another one on the phone? And technically they are two different vaults and I should update the master password separately? Is this different from using Dropbox for sync where you essentially share the key and changing the master password in one place suffice?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Try it again!

I don't entirely understand the technical details, but I gather from various discussions that the old master password must be used the first time after a sync and after that continues to work UNTIL the new master password is used. Once the new password has been used the old one will no longer work.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

hyperion ,

I hope Danco's answer has helped - he's right, we recommend trying that new Master Password again now. If you'd like a more in-depth description of how Master Passwords sync (and why you might have to unlock with your old Master Password once before the new one is accepted), have a read through this blog post by a member of our development team.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.