Upgraded to 1Password 4 and only have very old emails

Options
lisa_addthis
lisa_addthis
Community Member

Had someone at our company upgrade from unknown version of 1Password to 1Password 4 for Mac. At the same time, IOS sync was setup (wifi). The user is reporting that all the data in the vault is old. Did a restore from 6/18 which is the oldest backup listed and was also when the upgrade occured and the data is still old. Is there a way to find the old vault file?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.9
Sync Type: used to be folder..no sync selected after restore

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisa_addthis,

I'm a little confused, could you help me understand a bit better please. You say a user is reporting that the data in a vault is old. Can I ask, where is the vault with the old data, is it the Mac, the iOS device or is it both?

Now you've tried restoring an old backup but here's where I get a little lost, if the issue is old data then restoring a backup can only restore even older data. I feel I'm missing a few key details and then with a little luck we'll both be on the same page and we can start making some progress :smile:

• lisa_addthis
    lisa_addthis
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately that is the only new information I have this:

On june 18 1password on the mac was current. An upgraded occurred to version 4. At the same time 1password for IOS was enabled and setup for sync via wifi. It is being reported to me that "I might have had a very old version of 1password on my iphone that I never used and might have had old passwords in it".

So it is possible that the potentially old iphone data was sync'd to the version of on the Mac, but unfortunately the user has no idea what he did so I'm trying to work backwards.

I have the 1password log file and it lists the agilebits file which was in use on 6/18. Can I start a new vault and point it to that file (if it isn't currently in use for the current vault) and see if that contains the correct passwords that existed before the upgrade?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisa_addthis,

Without being able to get more information about what happened and the current state of 1Password on both Mac and iOS, I'm afraid it's very difficult for us to figure out what went wrong or how to fix things. But I'm sure we'll be able to figure this out one way or another. :)

I think there might be a few clues here, and perhaps you can help clear up a few things:

On june 18 1password on the mac was current. An upgraded occurred to version 4.

So if I understand, the old version of 1Password for Mac is the one which had all the current information. Then, 1Password 4 was installed and subsequently ended up with older data. If so, that's actually good news, because 1Password 4 is a completely separate app from previous versions. That means the old version of 1Password (with the current data) should still be installed on that Mac. Is the user able to find the old version of 1Password and open it? (It is normally found in the Applications folder.) Does it still show the current data? Also, which version is the old one? (From the old 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password.)

At the same time 1password for IOS was enabled and setup for sync via wifi. It is being reported to me that "I might have had a very old version of 1password on my iphone that I never used and might have had old passwords in it".

So it is possible that the potentially old iphone data was sync'd to the version of on the Mac

That sounds likely. It's possible that 1Password 4 never had the current data from the old version of 1Password on the Mac, and instead just got the older data from the iPhone. If so, I'm hoping that means the old version of 1Password on the Mac still has the newer data.

I have the 1password log file and it lists the agilebits file which was in use on 6/18. Can I start a new vault and point it to that file (if it isn't currently in use for the current vault) and see if that contains the correct passwords that existed before the upgrade?

That depends on what file you're referring to. If there is a file named "1Password.agilekeychain" (or at least one with the .agilekeychain extension) then that might have the newer data from the older version on the Mac. In that case, you should be able to double-click that file and 1Password will prompt you to add it as a secondary vault. Then you can see what data is in that new vault. If you get this far, please let us know how it goes and we can give you more direction from there if necessary.

On the other hand, if that file doesn't contain the newer data, or it's not a .agilekeychain file, and the user is unable to find the older version of 1Password on his Mac, then it may help if you or he can create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each device:

—Mac— https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

—iOS— https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post the Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in the email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see the Diagnostics Report in our inbox. You should receive an automated reply with a ticket ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.