Error when using 1Password browser extension [resolved by replacing damaged osascript binary]

Options
thomasareed
thomasareed
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

I recently switched from 1Password from the AgileBits website to 1Password from the App Store, in order to ease syncing between multiple devices. However, now, on one Mac, I'm getting the following error every time I try to use one of 1Password's Logins to log in to a website:

"The operation couldn't be completed. Script file uses an unknown interpreter."

The password gets entered, but this error message is then shown before the form is submitted.

How can I fix this? I have tried deleting and reinstalling the 1Password extension, and when I did the change, I followed the instructions here:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/switching-to-mas

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

Am I understanding correctly, you're saying this happens with only one Login item right now and other Login items are working correctly, filling and submitting as they should. If they are my first thought is to ask, have you seen tried not using 1Password on this website and can you successfully log in if you simply copy and paste your username and password in? If that works, it might be worth trying to create a brand new Login item for this site. I would recommend following our How to manually save a Login guide. Does this new Login item behave in the same way as the old one or does it work?

• thomasareed
    thomasareed
    Community Member
    Options

No, this is happening with all 1Password Logins I have tried. It always happens right after the password is filled in, but before the form can be submitted.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

Okay, I have a theory and we just need to test it out.

Can you enter 1Password's preferences please and switch to the Browser tab. In there can you disable the Automatically submit logins after filling option please and see if the error persists. I don't know the cause but I think it's referring to a very small AppleScript file we use to mimic the press of the Enter key which is how we suggest to the browser to submit a filled in login page.

If I'm right we can work with you to delete the AppleScript and force 1Password to recreate it in the hopes that resolves the issue.

• thomasareed
    thomasareed
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that caused the error to go away, so I imagine you're right about that script. Might it be an old script or something? The computer that isn't having the problem is much newer than the one that is, and hasn't had 1Password on it for long.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

Let's see if purging the current copy and forcing the recreation of a new one makes any difference.

1. I'm assuming you left that submit option disabled. If you did turn it back on (it seems unlikely :wink:) please disable once again.
    2. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to Folder... window. Paste in the following path ~/Library/Application Scripts/ and click the Go button.
    3. You should see a folder titled 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper - delete the entire folder.
    4. Uninstall the 1Password Browser extension from your default browser.
    5. Reboot your Mac.
    6. Launch 1Password for Mac, re-enable Automatically submit logins after filling and then click on the button Install Browser Extensions.
    7. After you've installed the extension the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper should be recreated. Inside that folder should be a single file titled 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt.

Does the error still happen after all of this? I apologise for all of those steps. There may be a way of achieving the same goal with fewer but at the moment I know that sequence works based on my own testing. Let us know if it helps :smile:

• thomasareed
    thomasareed
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, that didn't work. I still get the same error with the new copy of the script.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

Can you check a couple of things for me please.

Can you go to ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and select the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file. If you use Quick Look (tap the space bar) does the contents of the file match this snippet?

--This simple script allows 1Password
    --to perform autosubmit by pressing the return key on your behalf
    tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

If it does can you try right clicking on the file and open up the Open With submenu. The default application for opening an AppleScript file should be Script Editor.

Does all of that equal what you see on your system?

• thomasareed
    thomasareed
    Community Member
    Options

Yup, that's exactly what that script shows.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

Well I'm pretty stumped and so is one our very knowledgeable team members. It has been suggested to check one more piece of information though. Can you select the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt again and use the keyboard shortcut ⌘I to bring up the Get Info window. In there, in the General section at the top, what does it say for the Kind field? It should say AppleScript and the thought is maybe it doesn't say that and so the wrong interpreter is being invoked by OS X. It's really odd though as on a normal system this works fine - it's all very puzzling.

• thomasareed
    thomasareed
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, the Kind field reads "AppleScript" for that file, and running it from within Script Editor doesn't result in an error of any kind, nor does executing it from the Terminal using osascript.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

You really have brought us a tough one. Okay, can you enable Automatically submit logins after filling again if it's current disabled and cause the error to happen 3/5 times in a row. Then I'd like for you to create a diagnostic report for us and maybe we'll see something in the small portion of the system log or our log that gives us a clue. It does feel like a bit of a long shot but maybe between that and a little bit of dev time we can figure this out.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

ref: LDJ-97738-543

• thomasareed
    thomasareed
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I've sent the report. The support ID is #LDJ-97738-543.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @thomasareed,

Thank you for sending the Diagnostics Report and following up with the Support ID here! I see that Steve has replied to your email. We will continue to work with you via email to resolve this issue and get 1Password working properly for you again. :) Cheers.
    ref: LDJ-97738-543

This discussion has been closed.