Auto-save prompt appears every time, even if Login item exists

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Laptop and iPhone use a different Master Password.

Comments

• sclewis57
    sclewis57
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. I will work on it today. One last question. Every time I log in to an existing account (even those where I already have the user name and password saved and up to date), 1Password asks if I want to save it. Is there any way that it will only ask me to save if the login doesn't already exist or I've changed my user name and password?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sclewis57,

Since this question is unrelated to the problem you were having with your master password on your iPhone, I've split it off into a new discussion on our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum, where you'll be able to get more help with this.

So to make sure I understand: When you sign into a website using an existing Login item in 1Password, you get a prompt from 1Password asking if you want to save a new Login item? And this happens with every site that already has a Login item in 1Password? If so, can you let us know a few more details:

• Are you using 1Password to fill your login credentials on those sites, or are you entering that information manually?
    • If you're using 1Password to fill the forms, do you open a Login item from the main 1Password app, select it from the 1Password extension / 1Password mini, or do you use the ⌘\ or ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut from your browser?
    • Does the URL of the sign-in page match the URL in the Login item?
    • If you choose to save a new Login item when prompted, and then use that new Login item to sign into that site again, do you still receive another prompt to save a new Login?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?

Thanks!

• sclewis57
    sclewis57
    Community Member
    Options

I usually copy and paste the password.
    I do not use the shortcut keys.
    I believe I the URL matches.
    Yes, I believe it continually asks me to save a new login after saving it initially.
    I am using Chrome Version 43.0.2357.130 (64-bit)
    I am using 1Password 5
    Version 5.3.2 (532001)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sclewis57 ,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details!

I usually copy and paste the password.
    I do not use the shortcut keys.

Is there a reason why you're not making use of 1Password's shortcuts or filling features? There's nothing wrong with choosing to copy and paste, I'm just a little bit curious as how you decided on this workflow. Personally, being able to fill my details with a quick keyboard shortcut is one of the coolest things about 1Password. It saves me so much time in my day!

I believe I the URL matches.
    Yes, I believe it continually asks me to save a new login after saving it initially.

In order to get to the root of this, we'll need to be a bit more specific here. Please keep an eye on this (or test a few websites out right now if you're feeling particularly generous) and pay close attention to what happens when you fill.

• What are the exact steps that you take? (We'll want to try and copy your steps exactly to see if we can see what you see.)
    • Are there particular websites that this happens on? (If so, please let us know which ones!)
    • Does the URL on the webpage match the URL saved in your item details?

We appreciate your help in tracking this issue down!

This discussion has been closed.