MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility (mrc-converter-suite)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's a beautiful thing. :)

• TkPkMoCo
    TkPkMoCo
    Community Member

@MrC Would you be willing to create a converter script for the IronKey Identity Manager application? It can export XML.

Thank you

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@TkPkMoCo,

Would you be willing to create a converter script for the IronKey Identity Manager application? It can export XML.

I'm happy to take a look. Do I need the flash device, or can I get the software I need to generate a wallet and export to XML? If not, I'll need to rely on you to create me a sample XML (and perhaps explain a thing or two for me).

• TkPkMoCo
    TkPkMoCo
    Community Member

@MrC, thank you. I'll send you the "format" just returned to me by their support folks. This is just what I'd call the "layout" and doesn't include the account hierarchy/structure...

• TkPkMoCo
    TkPkMoCo
    Community Member

Is there a way to PM on this forum? The forum isn't liking an upload of .xml or .txt files.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

My email is at the top of the script files.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015

FYI:

User @TkPkMoCo requested:

Would you be willing to create a converter script for the IronKey Identity Manager application? It can export XML.

We worked together offline, and based on our work, there is now a converter for an IronKey Identity Manager XML export. The converter is included in the test release in the _testing folder, but I'm awaiting for brief export instructions from @TkPkMoCo so I can update the README file.

Edit: README updated in the 1.05 version.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

FYI: A converter is now available for Norton Identity Safe. More discussion here.

• johngraybosch
    johngraybosch
    Community Member

Thank you! Worked like a charm =)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015

I've promoted version 1.05 to the stable version. Changes:

Version 1.05:

• New: OS X Contacts converter (vcard), converts Contacts exports into identity entries.
    • New: 1PIF to HTML converter (onepif2html) for record printouts.
    • New: IronKey Identity Manager converter now available.
    • New: Norton Identity Safe converter now available.
    • New: Country code patterns added to convert common country strings into 1Password country codes (used for address types).
    • Change: default output file is now 1P_export.1pif.
    • Change: README modified to accommodate usage of new onepif2html converter.
    • Fix: README.pdf had white-on-white text when viewed in Acrobat.
  • rsully
    rsully
    Community Member

@MrC can you share the instructions you gave @Sefer for the "iCloud" keychain (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/203120/#Comment_203120)? I was able to use the script from this old gist (https://gist.github.com/rwest/1583781) to do Login but not iCloud.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Sent via PM.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

From/to @rsully:

That worked, however all of the created/modified dates get disrupted when you do that so something like Watchtower is pretty useless. Any idea if after the decrypted export it is possible to update the dates from the original iCloud keychain?

(For others looking for this his workaround is to copy items into a new blank keychain and use that new keychain to export.)

Did you use the convert_to_1p4's --modified flag?

FYI: I spent a little time today, coincidentally, adding some code to the Keychain converter to automatically run the security command to perform the export and to create the AppleScript required to automate clicking the Allow button. Once I get that to where I want it, I'll also update the README with the proper iCloud based keychain copy/export instructions.

• rsully
    rsully
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

Did you use the convert_to_1p4's --modified flag?

@MrC Sorry, by disrupted I meant reset. So rather than showing example.com created 2015-01-02 it shows today's date (the timestamp I copied/pasted from iCloud.keychain to Export.keychain (what I called mine)).

edit:

Also, rather than populating the created/modified fields in 1password, it stores the dates in the notes field.

edit 2: I see that the --modified flag might fix this second issue. But that doesn't matter since the data from keychain is bad to begin with.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015

@rsully,

I'll take a look tomorrow.

Also, rather than populating the created/modified fields in 1password, it stores the dates in the notes field.

This would imply you didn't use the --modified flag.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@rsully,

I spent a little time verifying the procedure for dumping the iCloud keychain, so I can now update the README.

Unfortunately, when you copy / paste the iCloud keychain to a local keychain, all the time stamps are set to the time of copy, and so the original time stamps are not available to the converter.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

A quick post to mention that the 1.06 version (available now in the _testing folder) includes a new drag-and-drop AppleScript to simplify the conversion task (it eliminates the need for users to enter arcane command line sequences).

Download and watch the video named Using the AppleScript_Conversion_Helper in the Extra Help folder.

• masonty
    masonty
    Community Member

I am having the same problem as Nicebeevor. The readme file is blank. I am using Windows 7 OS. I got the file from GitHub. Readme file is 164kb. Using Acrobat XI Pro.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015

@masonty,

Sorry for the troubles. There is something wrong with the tool I use to convert Markdown (.md) files to PDF files that affects only Acrobat. Use the version in my AgileBits Utilities folder instead. The Git hub release is behind.

Note: the problem occurs when the conversion is for non-paginated PDF. The new releases use paginated PDF to avoid the issues.

• Daedren
    Daedren
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

@MrC I just converted my passwords from LastPass and it seems all passwords with an & in it will convert the character to & amp; WITHOUT the space. (Because if I add the space here, it'll show as just the &)

e.g a password &123 in LastPass would later become & amp;123 in 1Password

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015

Hi @Daedren,

This is not something I see when I test. Can you tell me the following:

• Which OS you are exporting from?
    • Exactly you are doing the export to create the CSV file?
    • Which version of LastPass extension are you running?
    • Which browser are you using?

Edit: I've been able to reproduce the problem you see using Chrome and exporting using the LastPass extension. It is a LastPass bug with their extension in Chrome. On the screenshot below showing exporting in two different ways, the left side shows the export not using the extension, and the right shows what happens when the Chrome extension is used:

It appears that their extension is creating an HTML file (and such a file should have & converted into the HTML entity encoded &). But it shouldn't be generating an HTML file.

If you are using Chrome, don't use the extension to export; instead from the left sidebar on the LastPass vault page, use the Tools > Advanced > Export item, and follow the README instructions for copying and pasting the data into a text file.

Or try the export using IE if you are on Windows, or some other browser.

• Daedren
    Daedren
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

@MrC You're correct, I was using the extension (3.2.11) on Chrome 45.

Thank you for the really quick fix and reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

He's the man! :chuffed: :+1:

• RoiDesRois
    RoiDesRois
    Community Member

Hoping for a little help here. Not fully MAC or Linux capable but can work through. I managed to get this far. I'm running Windows 10 and am trying to convert from keepass 2.30. Any help would be appreciated. I think it's a path issue for me. I downloaded the 64bit strawberry installer. Perhaps the zip and create my own paths?

Strawberry\perl\bin>C:/convert_to_1p4/convert_to_1p4.pl Keepass2 Database.xml
    Can't locate Utils/PIF.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Utils::PIF module) (@INC contains: C:/Strawberry/perl/site/lib C:/Strawberry/perl/vendor/lib C:/Strawberry/perl/lib .) at C:\convert_to_1p4\convert_to_1p4.pl line 15.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\convert_to_1p4\convert_to_1p4.pl line 15.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015

Hi @RoiDesRois ,

The command you are using is different than what the README suggests. Some tips:

1. Be sure to launch the Strawberry Perl environment by using the "portableshell.bat" as stated in the README.
    2. Change your working directory as instructed by the README. Specifically step 3f, which says to Enter the command cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\convert_to_1p4. I can see from your output you are not in that directory.
    3. Issue the conversion command as prescribed in the README. You'll have to supply a path to your KeePass2 export. I've suggested to users they place it on the Desktop, since that makes the instructions easier to write and simpler to follow.
  • RoiDesRois
    RoiDesRois
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

I noticed in one of the comments about the path and the directory location so I put my export directly under C:\convert_to_1p4 so my command is as follows:
    C:/convert_to_1p4/convert_to_1p4.pl Keepass2 C:/convert_to_1p4/Database.xml
    I'm running that from under (using admin command prompt) C:\Strawberry\perl\bin. That's where my command line is pointed.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015

@RoiDesRois,

Follow the README's instructions.

There is enough difficulty for most users dealing with command line utilities, path names, path separators, let alone the requirements of the conversion script, it isn't worth trying to do it your own way. I intentionally did not make the script (readily) runnable when outside the convert_to_1p4 folder, so that I could know when users attempt to do things their own way. You're also calling the script by name directly, instead of calling "perl" and supplying the script as an argument to perl (also mentioned in the README).

• RoiDesRois
    RoiDesRois
    Community Member

Seems my issue to start with was not using the portable edition, rather the 64bit MSI. Everything went smooth and completed once I used the portable. Thanks a bunch for this utility. Worked great.

By any chance does this work with Keeper or is there a Keeper version somewhere?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Excellent!

Regarding Keeper, see my reply here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

8-) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.