Can't fill in this bank login - Sumitomo Mitsui Bank

Options

This one I can't get to work for the life of me, no matter how many times I fill in the details and save a new Login.

The link is https://direct.smbc.co.jp/aib/aibgsjsw5001.jsp.

There are 5 fields. On the top row you have enter the two on the left or the two on the right, and then your PIN below it. Then click login below that.

I have manually entered the two on the left and the PIN and then created a new Login. After doing that I login and can access my account. But when I then try from 1Password it messes up which fields it is entering what and I can't get in again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

doug

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

Unfortunately I'm struggling to reproduce the issue at the moment. Here's what I'm doing.

1. I visit https://direct.smbc.co.jp/aib/aibgsjsw5001.jsp
    2. I filled in the two left fields (I used ABC for the first, 123 for the second) and then the password field below.
    3. I followed our How to manually save a Login guide which I know you know well now :wink: 3.
    4. I altered the Login to Never submit.
    5. I refreshed the page and attempted to fill.

Now so far it always fills in the correct boxes for me and it behaves the same in both Safari and Firefox. I'm including a screenshot of my browser created Login item to see how it compares to yours.

Does anything stand out as different at all compared to your Login item?

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is the same pattern as yours. I wonder why there is a username/password setting at the top if there is a detailed web form though. Isn't that confusing?

I'm assuming after the .jsp in the website you also have the ?onepasswdfill= parameter, right?

doug

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

To clarify, if I make sure to "never submit" things do get filled in in those three fields. But the PASSWORD in the web form details is not the password I'm setting there. You can see at the site that the number of characters is different. Something else is ending up in the password field at the site.

doug

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

Here's a quick explanation of that particular parameter. Whenever you instruct 1Password to use open and fill there are two very separate actions. The first is passing the website field to your browser. If you click the website field from the main 1Password window what 1Password does is pass the URL to OS X and asks it to pass it to the default browser. If you do this from the 1Password Browser Extension it's passed to the active browser.

With the first instance though, the browser receives the URL but how do we let the extension know that you have requested open and fill? That's where the onepasswdfill parameter comes in. We attach this parameter to the URL before we pass it to OS X and the value is the UUID for the correct Login item. Before the browser even attempts to load the page we intercept and remove our parameter. We let the correct URL load and having grabbed the UUID we know which Login item to now fill with.

Now the only time you should be seeing that parameter is if your machine is either really slow or you don't have the 1Password Browser Extension loaded in your default browser. No extension means nothing to remove the parameter. So if you have a URL stored in a website field with a onepasswdfill parameter then something isn't quite right. I do remember a while back somebody had done this and in the end a big part of the confusion on why a particular Login item wasn't working was because they'd copied the URL from a broken Login item but the URL contained the broken Login item's UUID! So their good Login item was never being used.

Now I've double checked the test Login I've just made and the correct fake password was stored and is being properly filled. So if you're seeing a onepasswdfill parameter I would see what happens if you alter the website field so it is just https://direct.smbc.co.jp/aib/aibgsjsw5001.jsp. Does that make any difference?

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I do have the 1Password extension installed. And my MBP and network are both very fast. So I don't know why the onepasswdfill parameter got left in the settings.

Nevertheless, removing it doesn't help. It's still filling in the wrong password. Actually, right now it isn't filling in the first two fields anymore either. Hmm...

doug

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

Could you try creating a brand new Login please. 1Password should never have saved the onepasswdfill parameter so coupled with it now breaking all filling it sounds like something isn't quite right. Maybe a brand new item will have more success.

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately it's really not working so far, no matter what I do. It looked like the password was actually getting entered twice. If I deleted half the characters on the password line before logging in I was able to login.

So I said, "Ah ha. It must be using the Firefox saved password." So I made sure that was cleared and told Firefox "never for this site." And then I manually created a Login yet again.

But that wasn't that either.

First it seems to fill in the top 2 fields. Then it still fills in the password twice. Then before I can click login it redirects to https://direct.smbc.co.jp/aib/aibgsjsw5001.jsp?mc=A6902 (note the extra query parameter at the end) where the first two fields are now blank and 1Password offers to "save a new login."

Very confusing!

I have to admit this is one case where PasswordWallet "just works" and I'm having an awful lot of trouble getting it to work in 1Password so far.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

doug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@douglerner: I'm sorry that you're still having this issue! If you haven't already, try removing the 1Password extension completely and reinstalling it. It may just be damaged.

But if that doesn't help, it almost sounds like there may be an issue with Firefox on your system, since it's not something we're able to reproduce here. Does it work correctly in other browsers? Often a Firefox profile will get corrupted, and this can wreak havoc with extensions (among other things), so it may be necessary to try creating a new one to see if that resolves the issue.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - I just tried installing the extension in Chrome, but the same things keep happening to me. Redirects after 1Password enters the first to field to https://direct.smbc.co.jp/aib/aibgsjsw5001.jsp?mc=A6902, entering the password twice into the bottom field, getting prompted to create a new login, etc. And it's inconsistent. The same thing doesn't happen all the time.

So the same things are happening with both Firefox and Chrome, even with the Chrome extension installed for the first time just now.

It's hard to understand how this isn't reproducible there, or how you can really check for sure.

Can you double check this:

1. The first field must be 3 digits.
    2. The 2nd field must be 6 digits.
    3. The bottom field for a pin must be 4 digits.

When you do the auto-fill after going to the site is that what you end up with before you can attempt to login?

Just to confirm, the login page is https://direct.smbc.co.jp/aib/aibgsjsw5001.jsp.

The first two fields on the top left are labeled 店番号・口座番号(普通預金)(branch, account number)

The bottom field is labeled 第一暗証 (first level authentication).

Then below that is the green ログイン (login) button.

Thanks,

doug

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

By the by, in PasswordWallet this "just works" by saving the 9 digits for the two fields fields (1) and (2) above as the username (it's one of those forms where after 3 digits you are automatically skipped to the next field) and the 4 digits for the PIN as the password.

doug

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

Okay, based on the refined requirements I have stumbled upon an oddity.

Out of habit I often use the same strings when I'm testing, my test password of choice is peekaboo - I don't even think about it when I'm entering dummy data. Using that instead of a four digit PIN and it fills properly. A string of length four though does result in padding being appended but I don't know what is causing it. It isn't anything stored in the Login item and if I clear the password field and submit again then only the correct PIN is present. On all occasions the branch and bank account fill properly for me.

The following result is reproducible for me.

Given clearing the password field and filling again seems to work I'm working on the assumption that there most be some JavaScript on the page that is being fired when we fill the first time and not the second. It might take a developer to understand what is really going on though.

smbc.png 241.9K
  • douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

What I think the padding is is maybe the 4 digit pin getting entering twice. But I'm just guessing based on the fact that there seem to be 8 characters entered and if I delete the last 4 and click Login I can successfully login. At least those times when the first two fields get filled in properly, which isn't all the time. And even then I keep getting prompted to create a new Login.

doug

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

The padding is actually uppercase characters. No obvious pattern is to the choice of the two with each repeating e.g. YYZZ. If you're wondering how I can tell there's this fantastic JavaScript snippet that I make use of. It checks the current page and displays the contents of any password field it finds - great for ensuring that what is in the field is what we asked 1Password to fill. This is why I'm working on the assumption that something else is at play because the characters change each time and nothing like that is stored in the Login item.

I am at a loss as to why the branch and account number don't consistently fill for you. Every test I've performed over every browser behaves the same for me. What extensions, if any, do you have besides 1Password? All of my browsers are pretty minimal on that front and it's about one of the few things left I can guess at.

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

The only extensions I have are Snagit and Omnibar. I'm pretty minimal as well about extensions.

doug

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not many at all, you're right. Do you see any change at all if you temporarily disable those extensions @douglerner?

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid not. I tried turning them off earlier today.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@douglerner: I'm sorry that that hasn't helped. I'm still not seeing the issues that you're describing in any browser, though.

Since both my Japanese and webdev skills are limited, I've reported the issue via our Synapse website issue tracker so the developers can take a look and see if there's something that can be done to improve this going forward. Thanks again for your patience and willingness to troubleshoot this with us!

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Note above that @littlebobbytables mentioned he was able to replicate the problem with the password field getting extra characters tacked on.

Thanks,

doug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@douglerner: Indeed. I was referring to the original filling issue you described. Sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

This discussion has been closed.