Sync-recognizes phone, but won't try to authorize

2»

Comments

• rkell21
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    Thanks for the screenshot! In this state, you should run the 1Password app on your iPad and tap Settings > Sync, turn off the Wi-Fi Sync switch and then turn it back on... presenting you with a fresh set of sync authorization "secrets". Now click the Sync Now button on your Mac. If you are running a version of 1Password Mac earlier than 3.1.2 you may need to re-launch the application to have Sync Now take notice of the iPad. You cannot let the iPad go to sleep or for the 1Password app to lock during this time.

If this still results in no action at all could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

Also include a screenshot of BonjourBrowser with the iPad "ready" so we can see the details. For the sake of others reading this thread, please refer to these two screenshot links of Bonjour Browser running on my Mac:

http://img.skitch.com/20100329-pmirmpt8htbg3ijnce3a9pbb4u.jpg when iPhone app is not ready
    http://img.skitch.com/20100329-jq8me8rt2kbwu4a57gu51hi8ka.jpg when iPhone app is ready and broadcast has been received

Start by running the Bonjour Browser application on your Mac. You should see one item in the window labeled "local" and a number to the right (the display of the number is controlled by a Bonjour Browser Preference setting). Depending on which OS X network services you have enabled on your computer the number might be 0 but if there is one or more then there will be a "reveal triangle" to the left of "local". My screenshots started with 10 services and went to 11 when the 1Password mobile app was ready to communicate.

Single click on the reveal triangle (to make it point downwards) to expand the listing for "local". I have all kinds of services talking on my network so they are listed: pastebot, pthpb, textexpander, etc. Notice that they too all have reveal triangles that can show more details if desired.

When the iPhone (in my case) is running the 1Password app and is in it's unlocked state then Bonjour Browser will show another item: 1password2._tcp. If you reveal the details it shows the device's name in bold and has it's own reveal triangle that if revealed will show the IP address and port number.

What I'm looking for is a screenshot from your system with the details for "local", "_1password2._tcp" and any sub-items under "_1password2._tcp" all revealed.

The Bonjour Browser application cannot change anything -- it just views the current state of Bonjour broadcasts from each service. You can expand any or all the details and no matter what you do won't impact the services themselves. You shouldn't ever actually need to press the "Reload Services" button either: they should come and go in the listing automatically.

We suggest using this application just for the purpose of diagnosing that the 1Password mobile device can get it's network messages across to your Mac. If 1Password Mac doesn't see these messages then it won't offer to sync your data with that mobile device. This application is not used for day-to-day proper operation of anything and it won't "fix" networking issues that you might have: it just reports what it sees.

Thanks for the reply. No luck with the instructions you provided. I just sent an email to the agile support team and mentioned your name in the subject. It has the diagnostic reports attached, and screenshots of the Bonjour Browser with and without the iPad attached. I didn't post the screenshots on here b/c I wasn't sure if any of the iPad information contained sensitive data.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    rkell21 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. No luck with the instructions you provided. I just sent an email to the agile support team and mentioned your name in the subject. It has the diagnostic reports attached, and screenshots of the Bonjour Browser with and without the iPad attached. I didn't post the screenshots on here b/c I wasn't sure if any of the iPad information contained sensitive data.

I'm not sure where you'll check first, but we have received your email. Thanks! I'll be replying to it shortly. We appreciate you being concerned about the sensitivity of your information... we are as well. There's nothing sensitive in the Bonjour Browser data and in your case, nothing in the 1Password window screenshot either.
  • I have been having trouble all morning trying to get this to work. What worked for me is the following -

Uninstall 1password from mac.
    Uninstall 1password app from iphone.
    Restart phone and mac.
    Install 1 password on mac.
    Open itunes and install 1password app on iphone.
    Open 1 password on mac and switch on wifi sync on phone but do not add new connection yet.
    Let 1password recognize the iphone and then add new connection on iphone.
    Pop up for authorization code finally appeared!!!!
    Sync. All done.

Hope this helps as its been driving me crazy all morning.

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to the forums, jackian! Thanks for updating the thread with that info. I'm sorry you had trouble, but I am glad that everything is working well now. If you ever run into any trouble in the future, we are always here to help (and might be able to save you some time and frustration).

Usually the authorization codes can be entered by restarting both iOS device and Mac. If that doesn't work, sometimes the prompt has been disabled but can be reenabled with this Terminal command:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

We do also offer a method of syncing that is fully automatic, does not require you to even be near your computer, and is our recommended method of securely syncing. With Dropbox syncing, you can keep 1Password up to date from across town or across the country — anywhere you have an Internet connection. You Mac doesn't even have to be turned on. I would strongly advise going with Dropbox syncing if you are interested. It is more robust and just as secure as Wi-Fi syncing. :-)
This discussion has been closed.