Bug report: Chrome extension steals focus after entering username/password

Steps to reproduce:

1. Visit website that have stored username/password for
  2. Hold down Cmd-Alt-\ to open browser extension
  3. Hit enter to select site and fill in username/password. Login form will be submitted.
  4. Hit any key, and you'll here a system beep, even if it's the tab key. The extension has stolen the focus and the only way to get it back to the page is to use the mouse.

This means that if the site has keyboard shortcuts, or a two-factor auth screen after the initial login screen, I have to click somewhere on the page to reset the focus, before I can do anything, rather than just using the keyboard right away. It breaks my normal workflow for a lot of sites and is annoying.

This just started happening in the past few weeks. It doesn't happen if I manually type in the username/password.

1Password Version: 5.3.2 (532001)
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: None

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iandunn,

This one is a puzzler because:

1. At the moment I can't reproduce - filling behaves for me.
    2. Version 4.3.1 of the extension came out at the end of March, more than just a couple of weeks ago.

I used as a test Dropbox because I have 2FA set up there. In a tab with a different URL (so that open and fill would happen) I did as you detailed, I opened 1Password mini using ⌥⌘\ and clicked on the required Login item. My Dropbox Login has https://www.dropbox.com/login as the URL and after opening the page it filled in, submitted and focus was on the 2FA code field after the next page loaded.

Is there anything else you can think to describe about how focus is stolen. Is Chrome still the active application for example?

There is something else I would be curious about, if you have the time to test for us. You can have different profiles or as Chrome calls them People. If you had a new person does the behaviour occur within this new profile with just the 1Password Chrome Extension loaded? To test this you will need to install the extension into the second profile as it's a completely separate profile from your real one. If you are willing to test please ensure your real profile isn't active in another open window as multiple open profiles can confuse the extension (a known issue).

What this test will do is help narrow down the cause. Is it something specific to your normal profile or a bad interaction between different extensions or indeed something else.

Just as an FYI, version 4.4.0.90 of our extension for Chrome was released just yesterday. Now I've not heard of the issue you're experiencing so I don't mention it because I believe there is a fix in there for you, I just mention it as there are load of Chrome related improvements.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this :smile:

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member

Thanks for looking into it, and kudos on the cool username :)

I Upgraded to 4.4.0.90.

Rather than creating a new profile, I just disabled all other extensions, restarted Chrome, and tried again. The results were the same as before, though.

Chrome is still the active application.

It's not just typing into the input field that is blocked, but any application-level keyboard input, like cmd-shift-[ to move between tabs. OS-level shortcuts like cmd-space still work, though.

I did notice this time that the input field does have cursor blinking in it, so technically it has the focus on the page, but maybe the extension (or some other component) is getting in the way.

I wasn't using open-and-fill, I had manually visited the page and then used cmd-alt-\ and enter to fill/submit the form. I tried starting at a blank page and doing cmd-alt-\, then typing in the name of a site and hitting enter, but that had a the same effect. It took me to the page and filled in the form, but I couldn't hit enter to submit the form or do any other keyboard input.

I also tried moving all tabs from all open windows into a single window, just in case the known issue you mentioned was related, but it behaved the same.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iandunn,

It's just a thought in the back of my head at the moment but how you phrased your current tabs/windows situation it sounds like you might have quite a few open? I'm a very modest user despite all the testing I might do and I rarely have even 10 tabs open. I'm just wondering, depending on how many you have, if we're bumping into a quirk only seen under a fairly specific situation. How many tabs and windows do you normally have open?

It shouldn't make any difference (I don't think anyway) but do you see the same behaviour if you use just ⌘\ instead of ⌥⌘\. The keyboard shortcut ⌘\ tells 1Password to fill this particular page and it doesn't bring up the 1Password mini menu unless you have multiple Login items that match the URL. It shouldn't make a difference but given it will take moments to check it's worth confirming.

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member

That does work; after the initial form is submitted I can still use the keyboard.

I just noticed that if I press ⌥⌘\ and then Escape to close the window, the focus still gets stolen.

So ⌘\ probably works because the window never comes up; the window coming up is what steals the focus.

I tested this in a different scenario and got the same behavior; instead of using Chrome, I opened TextEdit, started typing, and then did ⌥⌘\ to open the window. When I escaped out, TextEdit was still the active application, but pressing any keys resulted in the system beep.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iandunn,

Something else must be at play here as I can't reproduce in TextEdit either. If I open up the 1Password mini menu and escape to clear it focus is in TextEdit.

Can we try something please. You can alter the shortcut used to open 1Password mini and that's done in the General tab of 1Password's preferences. If you change it to something completely different does the problem still occur? after the experiment you can change the shortcut back.

My thinking is something else might be listening to the same shortcut. I don't know what, it's just a thought at the moment. Do you remember installing anything or if anything updated around the time when you first started noticing this?

Regardless of the cause (us or another application) I'll be intrigued as to the answer that's for sure.

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member

Hey, that worked :D

It's odd, though; when I use the shortcut, it opens a Mini that's unlocked, but the old shortcut still works, and it opens a second Mini, which is locked. So it seems like maybe the previous version didn't get uninstalled when I updated to the current one, and both are running?

I'm looking in the Applications folder and I only see 1Password 5.app, and in Contents\Library\LoginItems I only see one 1Password mini.app

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iandunn,

AHA! I think you've just stumbled upon a vital piece of information. It really does sound like you have multiple copies of 1Password mini.

Try launching a Terminal window (you can find the Terminal application in /Applications/Utilities/) and paste the the following command at the prompt mdfind 1Password kind:Application. Tap enter and it will return the results from Spotlight.

My thinking is you will see one or more entries for a 1Password.app or 1Password 5.app. If you do it should say where it is and maybe then we'll have found the culprit for this weird behaviour. Please do keep us notified :smile:

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member

Here's the results:

> mdfind 1Password kind:Application
    /Applications/1Password 5.app
    /Users/ian/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Web Applications/_crx_aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk/Default aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk.app
    /Users/ian/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent/1PasswordAgent.app

Are the Chrome extension and the Agent app both "1Password Mini" ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iandunn,

Now 1PasswordAgent shouldn't be interfering but unless you still run our older version of 1Password, 1Password 3, then it doesn't need to be present. This page, Completely Uninstalling 1Password will show you how to ensure no remnants of 1Password 3 are left. I personally would recommend the Uninstalling 1Password Manually section as you can go through it bit by bit and apply common sense. If you don't find something it refers to it isn't present and so you can move to the next part. You may find many bits are removed and that the 1PasswordAgent is the last to be handled.

Follow this up with a reboot and test to see if the issue persists. I would assume it would.

Now the Chrome Web Application I'm far less sure about. Chrome isn't my primary browser so while I'm somewhat aware of how it works once we start entering certain areas we're most definitely outside my comfort zone. What I can say is the string matches the one I can see in the Extensions folder for our Extension. Chances are it represents an ID of some kind but why it's appearing in your Web Applications folder I'm uncertain. Can you think of any cause based on your normal usage of Chrome? It's a bit of an open question so answering may not be easy/possible.

It might be a diagnostic report might prove informative at this point.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• iandunn
    iandunn
    Community Member

That worked, here are the steps I took:

1. I moved /Users/ian/Library/Application Support/1Password/ to Trash
    2. Opened Activity Monitor; there were two 1Password Mini processes running. I force-quit both; one restarted while the other remained closed.
    3. Removed 1Password Mini from System Preferences > Login Items, just in case both it and 1Password itself were both starting a process. I might need to re-enable that if it was unrelated.
    4. I got an error about a sync problem, because 1Password was still configured to send backups to the 1Password 3 folder; fixed that by setting them to go to the 1Password 4 folder.

Thanks for all your help :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iandunn,

It sounds like you've managed to resolve a couple of unknown issues at the same time so great to hear you've had some success :smile: I have to say, I"m very surprised to hear you found 1Password mini as an item in Login Items. It definitely shouldn't be there as how we have to register 1Password mini means we can't go that route.

Best test going, does everything behave after a full reboot? if it does then it sounds like you've cracked it!

This discussion has been closed.