Can't set up Dropbox sync on new Mac even though I know the master password

Options
puch27
puch27
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

I have been using 1 password for years over multiple computers and IOS. I have the latest versions. I recently bought a new mac pro. I installed 1 password as per usual and set it to sync to my dropbox account. I then tried to log in using the master password and the software wouldnt let me in. I then tried my master password on other devices synced by the same dropbox file and there was no problem. I then read on the forums that the password file should be in its own folder on dropbox so i changed that to dropbox/1password/1passwordagilekeychain. All other devices had no log in problems but I couldnt on my new computer. I then tried to reset the new computer deleting the plist etc as per the instructions on the web page. I then exported the passwords from 1password on my other computers into 1password on the mac pro. I could now log in etc with the correct password. My problem now is that the vaults on each computer wont sync over dropbox. I get asked to merge vaults but when I enter the passwords i get the shackey wrong password thing even though I can log into the vault on each computer. I have tried different passwords to. Not sure what to do now. I would like to start over completely clean on my new mac pro but ive tried and it doesnt seem to be completely fresh from 1password. Any ideas please?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @puch27,

I'm sorry you're having trouble setting up Dropbox sync with 1Password on your new Mac Pro! If I understand the situation, your master password works on all your other devices, but won't work when trying to set up Dropbox sync on the new Mac. You were able to export/import your data from another computer to your new Mac, so you have your data there now, but sync still isn't working.

There are some different things you can try, but first I had a question about something you mentioned:

I then read on the forums that the password file should be in its own folder on dropbox so i changed that to dropbox/1password/1passwordagilekeychain. All other devices had no log in problems but I couldnt on my new computer.

When you changed the location of 1Password.agilekeychain, did you simply move it from within your Dropbox folder? If so, your other devices should have given you an error about the sync, and you would have needed to set up Dropbox sync again on each one in order to select the keychain in its new location. If you moved the keychain but 1Password didn't give you any errors on your devices, they might be syncing with a different 1Password.agilekeychain than the one you moved - and if so, the one you're trying to sync with on your new Mac Pro might be different than the others as well.

Now, that's basically just a guess at this point, so the problem might be something else entirely, but I wanted to mention it as a possibility. In order to figure out the problem and get things working, we'll need to know some more details about your setup. Can you please let us know the answers to these questions:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running on the Mac Pro?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on the Mac Pro?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Aside from your new Mac Pro, what other devices/computers are you syncing with 1Password?
    • What OS version and 1Password version are you using on the other devices/computers?
    • Is Dropbox sync still set up in the sync settings of 1Password on the other devices/computers?
    • What device/computer has your most up-to-date 1Password information?
    • Are you signed into the same Dropbox account on the new Mac Pro as on your other devices/computers?

Thanks in advance!

• puch27
    puch27
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Drew, Thank you for your reply and help. I did change my dropbox folder as suggested on a forum but this made no difference to my new mac pro. Other devices using 1password via dropbox had to have there sync folders edited and they are all working in sync now.

I am using the latest versions on 1password and mac os version 5.3.2 on my mac pro os 10.10.4

Hi have tried the start from fresh option on my mac pro, I removed the 1password folder, com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist (not sure why 4) and the 2BUA8C4S2C.com from the folders then rebooted the mac pro.

run from fresh, selected the password file in dropbox etc but then cant log in using my masterpassword, which works on all other devices using this password file.

yes signed into the same dropbox account.

there is only one password file in my dropbox folder

all computers that are using 1password are in sync, ive tried to add a new password and it appears on all computers and ios devices.

Thanks again for your help

• puch27
    puch27
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Drew, I just tried the start again method on my mac pro, this time I transferred the password file from my laptops dropbox folder to the desktop on the macpro. Started again in 1password and yet again the login wouldnt work. This start again procedure is not fully starting again I dont think. Thanks again for your help.

Regards Alf

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @puch27,

Thank you for the additional information!

This start again procedure is not fully starting again I dont think.

It sounds like you've gone through our 'starting over' steps several times on the new Mac Pro. That helps to remove any vault that already exists locally on that Mac so you can start over as if you just installed 1Password and are opening it for the first time. At this point, it sounds like you've already started over but can't get past the initial setup in 1Password because it says you entered an incorrect master password for the keychain in Dropbox. In that case, you don't need to keep following the 'starting over' steps, because there's nothing new to reset. If you can't get past the setup, it should still take you through the setup the next time you open 1Password on the Mac Pro. I just wanted to mention that in order to save you a bit of time. ;)

Now, it's possible there's something strange going on with the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox. You can try resetting Dropbox sync to delete that file and create a new one. This won't remove any data from 1Password on your Macs or iOS devices, but you should backup your data as a precaution. On at least one of your other Macs, open 1Password and go to File > Backup.

When you're ready, go ahead and follow these steps to reset Dropbox sync:

On one of your other Macs:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu, then click the Sync tab.
    • Change the sync from Dropbox to None, check the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Open your Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure the .agilekeychain has been deleted.
    • In 1Password, go back to the sync preferences and select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Your other Macs and iOS devices should stop syncing when they realize the .agilekeychain was removed from Dropbox, and you'll likely get an error message about that on each one (which is expected). Follow these steps to re-enable Dropbox sync:

On your other Macs:

• In 1Password, open the sync preferences and select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

On your iOS devices:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.
    • If you see a Vault Mismatch message, tap More Info and then tap Merge These Vaults Anyway.
    • Enter your master password if prompted.

On your new Mac Pro:

• Open 1Password and try to sync with the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Enter your master password when prompted.

Does it work this time?

• puch27
    puch27
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew!! re the above, should I try the clean reset thing on the new macpro?

Thanks again!!

• puch27
    puch27
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, I did all the above and did the clean reset thing but still cant log into 1password on my new mac pro. All other computers ok.

Thanks again

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @puch27,

re the above, should I try the clean reset thing on the new macpro?

No, as I mentioned earlier, you shouldn't need to reset 1Password on the Mac Pro again. You've already done that, and my understanding is that when you open the 1Password app on your Mac Pro, it behaves like the first time you've opened it, and you try to complete the setup by syncing your vault from Dropbox. If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.

I did all the above and did the clean reset thing but still cant log into 1password on my new mac pro.

Just to make sure - you followed the steps to disable Dropbox sync in 1Password on one of your other Macs (i.e. not the Mac Pro, but a Mac where 1Password is syncing correctly), deleted the .agilekeychain from Dropbox, then re-enabled Dropbox sync from that same Mac (which created a new .agilekeychain in Dropbox)? Then you re-enabled Dropbox sync on your other Macs and iOS devices and had no trouble entering your master password for the vault in Dropbox?

If so, there must be something different on the new Mac Pro if that's the only one that rejects your master password when setting up Dropbox sync. Without revealing your master password, can you tell us if it contains any special characters?

• puch27
    puch27
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, It is defo something in my new mac pro. No strange chacters in my password just two symbols but these have worked on all other devices.
    How do I completely get everything of the mac pro that is to do with 1pw?? Ive tried what the web page says but im not convinced its completely clean from 1pw.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @puch27,

No strange chacters in my password just two symbols but these have worked on all other devices.

Those two symbols should be fine as long as they are standard Latin (ASCII) characters. Please take a look at this knowledgebase article to make sure: Should I use special characters in my Master Password?

If either of the two symbols you're using in your master password are not a standard Latin character listed in that article, that can cause a problem because those symbols might work differently on different systems. For example, an accented character like ö might be passed to 1Password in different ways by the input system. So even though you might be typing the same character/symbol on your Mac Pro as on your other Macs and iOS devices, the input system on the Mac Pro might be giving a different sequence of bytes to 1Password.

On the other hand, if you use only standard Latin (ASCII) characters in your master password, that's not the problem.

How do I completely get everything of the mac pro that is to do with 1pw?? Ive tried what the web page says but im not convinced its completely clean from 1pw.

There's nothing about the installation of 1Password that would cause it to reject a correct master password - but even if there was, our 'starting over' steps would have taken care of that. You've already tried those steps and it didn't help, so doing that again won't make a difference.

There are a couple simple tests you can try that might help to narrow down the cause of the problem. First, please try this:

• On your Mac Pro, go to the Dropbox/1Password/ folder.
    • Double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain inside that folder.
    • Does 1Password prompt you to sync with that vault? If so, try entering the master password.

Please describe what happens when you try that.

Next, please try this:

• On your Mac Pro, open a web browser and go to dropbox.com.
    • On that website, sign into your Dropbox account.
    • Click the 1Password folder to open it.
    • Click the 1Password.agilekeychain folder to open it.
    • Click on 1Password.html.
    • Enter your master password to unlock 1PasswordAnywhere.

Does that work, or does it reject your master password there as well?

Thanks for your patience while we try to figure out this problem! :)

• puch27
    puch27
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Drew!!!

Thank you again for your help!!!!! I have found the problem!!!!!

I tried what you suggested above and I couldnt log in on line. I then decided to change my password to not have the two symbols. These were very basic simple symbols that have worked for years but thought I would give it a go. This then worked and I could log in etc.

I then decided to do more work on my new mac pro. I ended up doing some accounts. I then realised that the pound symbol £ was not coming up correctly.

I then realised that my new computer was set up with an American and not British keyboard. Bingo!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your help and patience, obviously a new computer from US will come set up with USA keyboard.

Thank you!!!!

Regards Alf

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Alf ( @puch27 ),

I'm so glad to hear that you're all sorted out - whoo! Symbols do have a way of complicating things just a little, particularly when different keyboard layouts are involved. In general, we recommend using only standard ASCII characters in your Master Password, as these will always be the same, no matter what your keyboard configuration.

In any case, I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.