1Password support for Microsoft Edge [Depends on Microsoft shipping Edge with extension support 1st]

huangqiyx
huangqiyx
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

As the title say, since Edge has been announced, is there plan to support it?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I'm hoping we can support it, but considered Edge was announced just a few days ago and it is still a moving target, we do not know much yet.

• MikeT
    edited May 2015

Hi @huangqiyx,

1Password support for Microsoft Edge might not happen on the first day of Windows 10 release with Edge included. Microsoft confirmed Edge will not have the broad extension API support in the RTM build, which potentially means Edge may not have support for extensions in the first public release.

They said they will add it in a future update to Edge after the RTM. That means that they "could" release a Windows update on the first day to update Edge to include the extension support. However, considering we don't have the official SDK for Edge right now, we don't know what they will support or won't support.

Basically, regardless of what they do, we can't test and ship an extension for Edge until Microsoft gives us the SDK and a testing build of Edge.

The good news is that 1Password does work in IE11 on Windows 10 Insider Previews so far, so you do have that option with Windows 10.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Colour me as interested once it happens (understanding that it totally depends on Microsoft releasing an API). As much as I love Chrome, it's just an absolutely terrible experience on a Surface Pro 3, for multiple reasons, and so I'm really anxious to see Microsoft making a real play in the browser market once again.

• Hi @TheDave,

Yea, I've been hearing a lot of complaints with Chrome and battery life issues it causes on Surface Pros. Edge with the same Chrome extensions, more fun features like the annotations might be exactly what Microsoft needs to get back into being the coolest browser to use for the Surface Pros.

I'd love to get a SP3 to play with Edge's annotation features.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

I think that for Chrome in general, 'the web' takes precedence over all other considerations, whether it be energy efficiency on portable devices or platform-specific features. Chrome is a great browser, but I find myself avoiding it at times for these reasons. It'll be good to have more alternatives -- and stronger competition -- in the browser space. :)

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member

Looking forward to this finally materializing. Been a while since I used Chrome due to all these intentional gimps it contains on PC+ Windows devices. As @TheDave stated, Chrome is just a terrible experience on PC+ devices like the Surface Pro.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raaomoka: Indeed. Chrome was my go-to browser for a long time. It's still great, but over time they haven't prioritized things I happen to value.

In their defense, I don't think it's a matter of intentionally crippling the experience on Windows -- especially since the OS X version suffers from many of the same problems. Windows touchscreen input has been around in one form or another for a very long time, but there still isn't a huge audience there. This may change over time, especially if Windows 10 is a success.

Windows 8 has been shunned by many, and as a result there is much less incentive to develop apps that cater to its feature set; an even smaller segment use Windows on a touchscreen device. But all of this may change over time as devices like the Surface become more popular. And if it does, I have no doubt that Google (as well as Mozilla) will go where the users are. :)

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

Now that we're closer to Windows 10's RTM, is there any news on Edge support? I realize that full extension support seem to still be on the roadmap for the future, but Edge is shaping up to be a surprisingly awesome browser, and it's possible that some sort of support might be possible now.

• Unfortunately no.
    We're waiting for this particular hammer to drop but so far all we're standing in the shadow of a huge ACME weight that has Extension Support for Microsoft Edge written on it, like Wile E. Coyote ;)

• Hi @TheDave,

I'm loving Edge, it's definitely much faster than the other browsers on Windows 10. It would be my preferred browser if only it could just support 1Password. I know how painful it is to not have the support there. At least Auto-Type can help if you don't use a lot of sites daily and you could just stay signed in for a while.

Microsoft is doing a great job with Edge, it's about time too.

Unfortunately, like Alex said, we wish there is some support but for now, there's nothing we can do. The news would be widespread if Microsoft added some limited support as a lot of companies would love to port their Chrome extensions to Edge.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

I got Windows 10 2 days ago through the Insider program. Any info on if/when you will have 1Password for this new browser?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Hi @DoctorDan,

I've merged your post into this thread about the MS Edge support. I'd suggest skimming through it but the short summary is that MS Edge does not support extensions nor will it at the launch in a few weeks.

Once MS updates Edge to support extensions, we can then start investigating to see if we can add support for Edge. Everything depends on MS to make this possible for us.

The good news is that Microsoft is attempting to replicate Chrome's extension model but we don't know to what extent. This will speed up everything for us by reusing most of our code from the Chrome extension but there are browser specific code, so not everything can be ported.

Right now, it's just a waiting game but we will do everything we can to ensure 1Password can be in Edge ASAP.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. I've got w10 installed in Fusion with the pagefile on the Mac's SSD. It boots from post to login prompt in about 7 seconds and seems to be quite nice. The alert sounds are much more unobtrusive.

• Yea, Windows 10 is looking like a great upgrade so far.

• westaf2000
    westaf2000
    Community Member

Absolutely love Edge on Windows 10, with the absence of 1Password being about the only big thing missing.

Click "..." on the upper right corner of Edge and "Send Feedback". Let them know many of us really want this feature. I just sent my feedback.

• You can also use the Feedback app to upvote the existing suggestions on adding extension support to Edge, they do follow these upvotes.

• Sven Andreas
    Sven Andreas
    Community Member

I want to write encouraging words here. My life revolves around 1Password because I suffer from dementia. About the only thing I can remember is my 1Password password. Getting your product working and playing well with everyone is right on top of my list.

Okay, a bit of negative vibes...... you said (different forum) that the problem with Firefox v41 isn't your fault. Mozilla is to blame. I shut down my reliance on Firefox because v40 isn't really reliable on Windows 10. That may be true... but it had less warmies and fuzzies than "We're working with Mozilla to get it fixed." If there's any whining I can do with the Firefox folks, let me know. V41 seems not to have a workaround... if you find one, let me know.

I cranked up Edge. Although I was an early beta on Windows 10... if it doesn't support 1Password, I can't / won't use it. Now Edge is an actual thing. It has no addons. None. I can't really blame you for not having the impossible. But what I see here is more of that "not our fault" response.

I really wish you the best. If there's a beta, let me know. If you need code, I will try to program again.

Just know that when I see somebody cross their arms and pat their foot, it scares the crap out of me.

Thanks.

—Sven

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sven Andreas: Thank you for the kind words! It really means a lot to know that 1Password is helping you in your day-to-day life. We couldn't ask for more. :chuffed:

Okay, a bit of negative vibes...... you said (different forum) that the problem with Firefox v41 isn't your fault. Mozilla is to blame. I shut down my reliance on Firefox because v40 isn't really reliable on Windows 10. That may be true... but it had less warmies and fuzzies than "We're working with Mozilla to get it fixed." If there's any whining I can do with the Firefox folks, let me know. V41 seems not to have a workaround... if you find one, let me know.

(Un)fortunately this probably isn't going to happen. Mozilla is doing what right for their browser and — by extension — the web. Things have to move forward, and they can't if technology is chained to the past. Just look at some of the backward-compatibility messes Microsoft has gotten into — with their own browser even!

I cranked up Edge. Although I was an early beta on Windows 10... if it doesn't support 1Password, I can't / won't use it. Now Edge is an actual thing. It has no addons. None. I can't really blame you for not having the impossible. But what I see here is more of that "not our fault" response.

Well, I can see how you might perceive it that way, but we're just going to be straightforward about it and hope that you and the rest of our awesome customers will take our words at face value: it isn't our fault that Microsoft has not provided an extension framework for their new browser (it's their prerogative), and there isn't anything we can do about it at the moment. There's just no other honest way to put it, and I hope that candor outweighs bad news.

Now, most apps do not have extension frameworks that 1Password (and others) can use to integrate, but many of us (myself included) may come to take this for granted from browsers...so the absence in something like Edge can really rankle. But the truth is that, like any other company, Microsoft has to make choices: perhaps they can come out of that gate with a solid browser without extensions, or a flaky browser with a quality extension API — and they chose the former. Good on them!

1Password used to use more creative means of browser integration, but since it wasn't supported by the browsers themselves, it meant that any update would break 1Password and leave our customers in a lurch. When it worked it was great, but often it wasn't a good experience, so when extensions came along we jumped at it. And we could probably try some similar shenanigans now, but that would come at the expense of stability — if it is even possible at all with the security in modern browsers. So we'd rather wait and do it right when an opportunity presents itself.

Meanwhile, we're busy working on improving 1Password in other ways until we're able to work on supporting Edge. We have plenty to keep us busy. :)

• Hi @Sven Andreas,

Just to add more to what Brenty said:

1. Windows 10 does have Internet Explorer 11 in addition to Microsoft Edge, you can find it via search and 1Password will work in it like it did with the same Internet Explorer 11 versions on previous Windows versions
    2. Mozilla isn't to blame, no one is at blame here. A lot of new stuff happened at the same time that it takes all of our resources to get things going in a different direction. Firefox 40 breaking the old 1Password 3rd extension for good, Firefox 41 beta/dev/Nightly blocking extensions that are not signed, Chrome unstable versions have a bug that breaks our extensions, and so on. We're slowly and steadily making process on getting 1Password working in all unstable versions of Firefox and Chrome.
    3. We now have a beta version that is signed, which is now working in Firefox 41 beta and specifically Firefox 42 Alpha (Developer) that starts blocking unsigned extensions with no workaround. We're hearing some progress on Google's side about fixing some of the issues that we're facing there.
    4. There is a workaround in Firefox 41 beta to allow unsigned extensions but we'd rather you use the beta extension than to turn it off, it is a good security benefit to have signed code.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

you said (different forum) that the problem with Firefox v41 isn't your fault. Mozilla is to blame. I shut down my reliance on Firefox because v40 isn't really reliable on Windows 10. That may be true... but it had less warmies and fuzzies than "We're working with Mozilla to get it fixed."

We ARE working with Mozilla, making or latest (version 4) extension compatible with them. We are NOT updating our old (version 3) extension. It would be nice if it would keep working forever, but that wouldn't be realistic. Now that our old (version 3) extension is dead in Firefox 40 you can upgrade to our new (version 4) extension, or keep using the old (version 3) extension in Chrome or Safari. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.