Using 1PW on iphone- first time user

Options
goofy410
goofy410
Community Member

If I'm understanding correctly, on my iphone, for every app that I have that requires a user name and password I would need to go into 1pw, and then copy and paste the information from there into the app, is this correct? Unless of course it is an app that supports 1pw. Also, in order to ensure that I have the login and user name for all of my apps do I need to go through each of my apps or is there an automated way to do this on the iphone? (also on Mac, and Droid)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

or every app that I have that requires a user name and password I would need to go into 1pw, and then copy and paste the information from there into the app, is this correct?

Yes.

Also, in order to ensure that I have the login and user name for all of my apps do I need to go through each of my apps or is there an automated way to do this on the iphone?

There is no automated way, I'm afraid.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@goofy410: Indeed. However, don't let that stop you from letting app developers know you'd like them to add 1Password support. I never do! ;)

Just drop them a line, and feel free to refer them to our 1Password extension for developers page for all the information and assistance they need to make it happen. After all, you're their customer, and even if they don't know it yet, I bet they'd love to make it easier for their customers to be more secure using their app. :)

• goofy410
    goofy410
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm, this seems then like a lot of extra steps every time I log into my bank accounts or other accounts. I'm trying to understand how 1PW would help me vs. drive me nuts with all the extra steps it takes to get into an account. I feel like the only solution would be to not use 1PW on my phone and just use it on a browser. (Which is not practical.). Help! there has to be another solution!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goofy410,

In case you haven't already seen this, we have an FAQ that explains a lot about the 1Password extension on iOS: How do I fill Logins into other apps on iOS?

Due to sandboxing restrictions on iOS, different apps cannot generally "talk" to each other. Before Apple added support for app extensions in iOS 8, the only way to use your information from 1Password in another app was via copy & paste. The 1Password extension on iOS 8 makes that much easier, but other apps need to add support for that extension first.

If your bank apps don't support the 1Password extension on iOS, it would probably be a lot easier to open those banks' websites in Safari on your iPhone, then use the 1Password extension in Safari to sign in. For information on enabling the 1Password extension and using it in Safari or supported apps, please check out the Extension section of our User Guide.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about the 1Password extension on iOS, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.