Is this a good work around to buy the pro features with family sharing?

Options
omorillon
omorillon
Community Member

I know that Family Sharing feature in iOS 8 does not currently support in-app purchases, but here's my question: If I remove a family member from Family Sharing, will he be able to buy the pro features? And if he does, will they work if I add him back to family sharing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

There really isn't any need to remove that user from the family group. Just have him/her pay to activate the Pro features through the in-app purchase on the current installation. Family sharing won't interfere.

Have I misunderstood your objective? If a person has the Pro features and then later joins a family group for Family Sharing, that shouldn't affect the already-purchased features.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @omorillon,

Hawkmoth's answer is spot-on! I hope that answered your question, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help. :)

• omorillon
    omorillon
    Community Member
    Options

I added him to my Family Group and he was not able to purchase the pro features. He gets an error message, something about pro features not available in family sharing and/or check Internet connection and try again.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @omorillon,

I'm not aware of any specific limitation on purchasing in-app purchases while part of a Family Group. Could you please post the exact error message for us? It is possible a different problem is preventing the purchase.

Thanks!

Ben

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hmmm. I wonder if the fact that the same credit card needing to be used by all members of the same family is affecting this. Think you should contact Apple. they have a free channel for support for iTune that should be helpful. You can start a chat session from this page:

iTunes - Contact Us

Speaking for myself, I'd be really interested in what they say.

Edit: Or better yet, first follow @bwoodruff's advice. ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm also unaware of a limitation on in-app purchases when part of Family Sharing. Maybe knowing the exact error message will shed some light on this?

@omorillon, it would be great to know the exact error message (as Ben mentioned). Perhaps you could take a screenshot of that and post it here? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.