How do I set up a second account on my iPad and then share it with another iPad user?

Options
whenszey
whenszey
Community Member

I have an elderly friend and I'm trying to set them up with one password but I don't have their iPad right now. Is it possible to set up a secondary account on my iPad and then share it with another iPad user after I'm done setting it up for them?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@whenszey: There isn't a way to have multiple copies of 1Password on an iPad.

You could

• set up a secondary vault
    • sync it with Dropbox
    • set up 1Password on the other iPad
    • sync that vault over

But I'm not sure this would save you much trouble, as you'd still need to

• install 1Password
    • set it up
    • login to your Dropbox account
    • sync the vault
    • (and probably) disconnect the Dropbox account

Now, that makes it sound worse than it actually is. In reality, setting up 1Password from scratch on an iPad is much easier than trying to set it up one place and then move the whole thing it to another. And ultimately it may be best to go through all of this with them, to help familiarize them with how 1Password works, which could pay off down the road in the form of less tech support. ;)

That said, I'm not letting us off the hook! Let me know what you think, and whatever course you choose, I hope both you and your friend will feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. We're always here to help! :)

• whenszey
    whenszey
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply. That does sound like it will be more trouble than it's worth. My biggest dilemma comes from inputting all the passwords into my friends iPad. She's over 80 has arthritis and this hard of hearing so I'm trying to do as much as possible for her from a remote location because were cities apart. She also has a Windows desktop computer; I don't know if there be any benefit in going that route. I have remote access to their computer so maybe that would be a better approach. Please let me know your thoughts. thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@whenszey: Ah, you're very welcome! Understood. While you will be a better judge than I, I do have an idea that might help.

If she primarily uses the computer, that's simple enough: just set her up with 1Password for Windows, which you should be able to easily do remotely.

However, it sounds like the iPad is the real target. And in that case, perhaps a combination might work best, both for you and your friend. For instance, you could set everything up on the computer, using 1Password for Windows remotely to add logins, etc., and then sync everything to 1Password on the iPad using Dropbox, where she can simply use everything you've set up for her.

Saving logins is definitely easier on the desktop, and the app is also more flexible — not to mention the remote connection will be more convenient for you when setting it up. You'll get the benefit of being able to capture form data when saving a login using the browser extension, as well as not having to manually enter everything using an on screen keyboard. ;)

Please let me know if there's something else we need to account for, but even if this doesn't sound like the solution you're looking for perhaps it will help narrow things down at least. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.