Keyboard shortcuts to copy user name, and to enter user then password (outside of browser).

rafraf
rafraf
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Lounge

I have made the transition from Keepass to 1Password primarily because of the motivation to use a single password manager for Windows and Mac and the Mac version of Keepass was too fidgety for me.

In general, 1password has been a big step up in terms of ease of use, except for a couple of niggles, which may reflect my ignorance of some aspects of the application

I have read through the keyboard shortcuts documentation, but couldnt see how to do the following:

1. In the 1password mini application, you can quickly search for a login and use a keyboard shortcut to copy its password (this is very effectively implemented), but I can't see any way to do the same for the user name (without right arrow, left arrow, etc....). In keepass you can use a single keyboard shortcut to copy the user name to the clipboard.

2. There is no keyboard shortcut to autofill user name and passwords for the previous Window. The application seems very efficient for browsers (with the plugin) but less so for generic application log in screens. Here I mean simply performing a command+tab, enter user name, tab, enter password execution. Again in keepass ctrl+v did that. It would be nice for non-web based logins, and also a nice in cases where the plugin is not installed in a browser... A simple execution of those keys on the shortcut would be ideal and cover most use cases, but something that lets you enter customer key combinations would be even better....

If anyone can tell me how to do that would be great, otherwise what is a good way to suggest these features to agilebits?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

A brief comment only, that 1Password for iOS has an extension that allows doing what you want for applications, but because of Apple's sandboxing rules, it cannot do that unless the developer of the other application builds in some special code to allow 1Password to talk to it. There is a handy link to send to developers about how to add that code. The essentials are covered on this page.

There have been many requests here for a similar function for the Mac version of 1Password, but at at the present time, the Mac version can't fill credentials into applications. Copy and paste from 1Password to the application is the only way. I would expect that someone will be along to count your request as a vote for adding that to the desktop versions.

I haven't thought about your ideas about keyboard shortcuts, so I haven't even an opinion to offer on that.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

On Windows you can Ctrl+Click on the Add Url button in the Login edit window and it will popup and list of Window titles. Just select the window you want to fill and click ok. Save the login, go to the login window and press Ctrl+\.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login

• rafraf
    rafraf
    Community Member

Hi @hawkmoth - thanks for your comments. I wasn't thinking so much of iOS. I am happy with how that works (though now that you mention it, Keepass mini copies to the clipboard on one tap versus the minimum of two taps required in iOS 1password app (though there are desirable aspects to how 1password does it, which is why I let that one be).

I wasn't sure how your initial comment fed into your comment regarding OSX - are you saying it also sandboxes this capability? That would surprise me a bit.

For me, even just having the keyboard shortcut to copy user name (ala the command+shift+c to copy passwords) would go most of the way to mitigating the issue as it will speed things up considerably.

@RichardPayne - thank you for the great tip. However, there seems to be no way of doing this on OSX (as far as I can tell). That is the operating system I predominantly used, but I will try the tip above on a Windows PC tomorrow.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

@rafraf said

I wasn't sure how your initial comment fed into your comment regarding OSX - are you saying it also sandboxes this capability? That would surprise me a bit.

I don't know what OS X allows and doesn't. My only intent was to contrast what is possible now on iOS with what is currently possible with 1Password for OS X. For whatever reason, 1Password for Mac cannot submit credentials to application. Having the OS X version do that is an often-requested feature.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rafraf,

First of all, thanks so much for choosing 1Password to keep your digital data secure and organized - we really appreciate it! :)

1. In the 1password mini application, you can quickly search for a login and use a keyboard shortcut to copy its password (this is very effectively implemented), but I can't see any way to do the same for the user name (without right arrow, left arrow, etc....). In keepass you can use a single keyboard shortcut to copy the user name to the clipboard.

We've had requests for this feature from users before, and I'm happy to add your vote to the existing issue in our internal tracker.

ref: OPM-2932

There is no keyboard shortcut to autofill user name and passwords for the previous Window. The application seems very efficient for browsers (with the plugin) but less so for generic application log in screens.

As has been mentioned by Hawkmoth and Richard Payne, 1Password for Mac cannot currently fill into non-browser windows. Hawkmoth is right in saying that this has to do with the sandboxing regulations on Mac: as a rule, apps can't do anything inside other apps. We get around it in the browser with the browser extension, but Mac doesn't yet have app extensions (although we'd be quite excited if they brought this iOS feature to the desktop as well!)

We are looking into solutions here, so I'll again add a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker.

ref: OPM-990

I am happy with how that works (though now that you mention it, Keepass mini copies to the clipboard on one tap versus the minimum of two taps required in iOS 1password app (though there are desirable aspects to how 1password does it, which is why I let that one be).

I'm not familiar with how Keepass does things, but I just want to make sure you're using the swipe-to-copy feature in 1Password 5 for iOS. When you're viewing the list of your items, you can swipe across to reveal the 'copy password' option. This makes it easy to get your password without having to view the item's details. (If you're already doing this - awesome!)

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.