Previous Password Problem

Options
drmike1940
drmike1940
Community Member

I downloaded a trial version of 1 Password, probably not from Apple, played with it and decided to buy from Apple so as to be able to use 1Password with Safari. I did not keep a copy of the password I used with the trial version. When I installed the version I bought from Apple, it immediately asked for a Master Password. I expected to be asked to define a new one. I don't think I set a Master Password for the purchased version, but it is possible that I did and don't recall it and did not record it.

It seems to me that the purchased version may have imported the Master P/W from the Trial version. Is this possible?

There is nothing of value in either the trial version, or in the purchased version if I used it and forgot a different Master P/W.

So now I am stuck. I have not lost anything important. If I could just start again with a "clean" system without any remnants interfering, I would be happy. What can I do to get going, please.

I could have downloaded to a gmail address or to one ending in .me. If you need the full addresses, let me know.

Mac OS 10.10.4
1Password Version 5.3
1Password Version 4.4.2
Sync Type iCloud

Help would be appreciated,

Mike

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Reset lost password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drmike1940,

You've hit the nail on the head. In a bid to try and be helpful we did import the vault from the AgileBits Store version which starts off in a trial mode. There are times, like now, where this isn't useful but it's easily resolvable.

So the first thing to do is if you haven't already, move the 1Password 5 application from your /Applications/ folder to your Trash. The 1Password 5 application is our AgileBits Store version while the 1Password one is the version download by Apple's Mac App Store and the one you want to keep. With that done what will get the vault situation sorted out is our guide, How do I start over with an empty vault? Now you will want to follow the section for both the Mac App Store version and AgileBits Store version of 1Password, that way it won't bother you again and you'll be free to create a brand new vault with a strong Master Password that you remember.

Should you have any troubles at all please do let us know and we'll help you get it all sorted out :smile:

This discussion has been closed.