It would be awesome if 1password could warn when you've entered an invalid credit card number

Options
Ansman
Ansman
Community Member

All credit card types have a way of verifying that a credit card number is valid.
It would be nice if 1password could warn if it looks like you've entered an invalid number before you save just to make sure there are no errors.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Verify Credit card

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ansman,

It wouldn't ensure there are no errors but it does seem the long number follows a particular checksum to ensure a number is valid (the Luhn algorithm). I can't imagine adding the check would be hard, the concept is simple enough that you can do back of the envelope style calculations if you wanted. Now it wouldn't help with details such as expiry dates, so those you would still need to double check when you add or alter a card :wink:

I've created a feature request for this on your behalf :smile:

ref: OPM-3221

• Ansman
    Ansman
    Community Member
    Options

Great thanks.
    Exactly, I was referring to Luhn and even since the only real way to test it is to make a reservation it would still help to know if you've entered the number incorrectly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

The feature request is in so fingers crossed @Ansman :smile: We don't get to use our personal desires to influence what makes the cut or not but I do like the idea. The actual request I've made is that we still allow the user to enter whatever they want but that we flag a number that doesn't validate through say a red background on the field and offer a tooltip to say why. We'll see what our UI designers say but I think that's a possible approach without restricting what is allowed and isn't. You could of course argue there isn't much point allowing numbers that don't validate but should anything change that would stop people while we got a fix out while a warning can aid those that want it and be ignored by others.

• Ansman
    Ansman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad you think it's a good idea :)
    Invalid number should definitely be allowed if you ask me, this should just be a friendly hint.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ansman,

Thanks so much for the suggestion! We want 1Password to be helpful and user-friendly, and this could be a good addition to the feature set.

If you have any other comments or questions about 1Password, we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.