Switching from wi-fi sync to icloud

Options
lisafrucht
lisafrucht
Community Member

I am not sure if but I think I purchased 1password directly from AgileBits because I do not get the drop down option to sync to iCloud. I would much rather sync using iCloud then dropbox. Is the only way to repurchase 1password 5 from the Mac store and if I do that can I transfer my existing vault over? Thanks so much.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: OS X 10.4.4
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: kb:icloud-needs-cloudkit, ug:mac/sync-icloud, ug:mac/installing-from-the-mac-app-store-mas, ug:mac/sync-icloud, kb:sync-options

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Unfortunately, due to Apple's restrictions, if you really want to use iCloud sync your only option is to repurchase 1PW from the App Store. Apple don't give AgileBits the option to give a discount in that situation. If your purchase from AgileBits is recent enough (not more than thirty days) they will give you a refund if you want.

There is no great problem in transferring the vault, but details can wait until you have decided whether to make a purchase from the App Store.

From a technical point of view, Dropbox is as good as iCloud, perhaps slightly better. But there are many reasons why people may prefer iCloud, and it is your choice, of course.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @lisafrucht,

Danco's answer is spot-on. You can read more about iCloud Sync requirements here:

Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

I believe I may have found your purchases in our sales records by extrapolating your name from the email address associated with your forum handle. If that is you, it looks like your most recent purchase was in November of 2014, which is well outside of our 30-day refund window.

As Danco mentioned, Dropbox is an excellent sync option, and every bit as secure as iCloud. I use it myself, as do many of my AgileBits teammates, but of course the choice is yours.

If you do choose to buy the Mac App Store version, you can follow these steps to migrate your data (i.e., transfer your existing vault over).

Please let us know if you have any further questions. We're here to help! :)

• lisafrucht
    lisafrucht
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both for your help. I think I will give dropbox a try using the their 2 step verification as a security measure.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lisafrucht,

Thanks for the follow-up. Using 2-step verification is a great idea! And if security was your concern with Dropbox Sync, then I'm pleased to let you know that 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted by your Master Password, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

Definitely let us know if you have any other security concerns. The whole point of 1Password is to keep your data safe and secure (as well as convenient for you to access), so we take this very seriously.

This discussion has been closed.