Securing the vault with a key file

Dimas Cabré i Chacón
Dimas Cabré i Chacón
Community Member

It's not clear for me if I can secure my vault using a key file instead or plus a password. Is this possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:key file

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dimas Cabré i Chacón ,

With 1Password, your data is encrypted using AES-256 bit encryption. The only way to access your data is with your Master Password. There's no extra keys or anything else required on your part. We've got plenty of tips in our User Guide on how to create a strong Master Password to protect your data.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, we're here for you!

• This is my point. I pretend to use 1Password in my iPad. I also want to store my vault in the cloud (to be able to use it with my laptop and having both automatically synched). So, on one side, I want my vault as secure as possible. But, if I have a very strong master password, it is too time consuming and error prone to type it on my iPad. So, my idea is (and I can understand other people will not like my approach) having a key file stored in my iPad, so I don’t need to type a very long and complex password every time I need to inspect my vault. As I am not storing this key file in the cloud, the vault happens to be extremely hard to crack outside my iPad. Thus, I wonder if you would considerer having this extra authentication mechanism, as, for instance, KeePass does.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dimas Cabré i Chacón ,

Thanks for the feedback! We have Touch ID (and PIN for non-Touch ID devices) that can help ensure you're not entering your Master Password in too frequently on your iOS device. I will be happy to pass your suggestion along to our team though. :)

This discussion has been closed.