Why is my 1Password browser (iOS) so slow?

Options
hiperdino
hiperdino
Community Member

Loading the website www.web.de on the 1password browser takes very long compared to other browsers like safari or chrome. Also the website sometimes is unresponsive, meaning it can not scroll and is "frozen". I have tried to restart the iPad repeatedly and updated to the newest version. I also checked my internet speed, but that is not the problem.

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 8.1.3 (12B466)
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:slow

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hiperdino ,

Could you clarify, are you seeing this with any other websites? Or is this slowness restricted to this one site?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hiperdino: I tested this myself on my iPhone 6, and while http://web.de is a bit slow to load (3-5 seconds, in my experience), this was the same both in Safari and 1Browser.

Now, I'm using 1Password 5.4.3 on iOS 8.4, so it may be that Apple's made some improvements in the 8 months since you've updated your device, so you may want to do that first — not only for performance, but also substantial security fixes.

In the end, 1Browser is simply using a Safari WebView, so there won't be much AgileBits can do to improve browser performance (all iOS apps, including Chrome, must use this same WebView for web browsing, and Apple is in control if that). But please let me know more about the exact steps you're taking, and the device you're using. The more information you can give, the better! That way we can test for ourselves as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member
    Options

iOS8 added WKWebView which is much faster than UIWebView, the older one. It has a different API and is not a drop-in replacement, but might be worth looking into. WKWebView uses the same JS engine as Safari, while UIWebView uses an older one without a JIT compiler. (There's also SafariViewController in iOS9, but that's completely isolated from the host process and I don't think 1p would be able to do autofill.)

Personally, I don't use the 1p browser since the Safari Extension was added.

• Hi @alanshutko,

We're currently testing WKWebView in the beta version of 1Password. If all goes well, it should make it into the next release. :glasses:

This discussion has been closed.