Truncated 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt?

Options
starlir
starlir
Community Member

I am using Developer Beta 5 of El Capitan on my iMac and am now receiving the follow error when using 1Password Mini to autofill logins 'The file "1Password_Autosubmit.scpt" couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format. The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format.' I do not receive this error on my MBP which is also running Beta5 so suspect this is not a generic incompatibility between 1Password and Beta 5. Other posts related to problems with this script suggest deleting it, but I wanted further advice before proceeding with that option.

1Password Version: 5.3 (53009)
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OSX 10.11 Beta 5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• starlir
    starlir
    Community Member
    Options

I decided to rename the script file rather than delete it and that appears to have cured the problem but the file is not re-created? That leads me to ask if the .scpt file is redundant now?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @starlir,

That file is an odd one in the sense that a sandboxed application, like the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac, can't write to that location without explicit authorisation from the user.

By renaming it you've essentially removed it's visibility from 1Password. I believe that if you were to open 1Password's preferences and switch to the Browser tab you would possibly find the Automatically submit logins after filling is disabled or that if you disable and then re-enable that you might be asked to save the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file in the ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ folder. I haven't quite nailed down 1Password's behaviour here as it changed recently.

What the file does is mimic pressing of the enter key and we do this because there isn't a reliable way to do so in JavaScript. We find the best way to tell a webpage that the user is trying to submit a login page is by simulating the enter key while focus is in one of the fields. Almost without exception this will result in the desired behaviour while trying to interact with buttons might lead to insanity in one of our poor developers. So it still serves a purpose for those that like the submit after filling. The file can be recreated, it's absence is tolerated by 1Password so hopefully it's just a one-off glitch. Please do keep us informed though :smile:

• starlir
    starlir
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. You are correct that the Automatically submit logins after filling is now disabled but even if I re-enable it I am not prompted to save the script file and neither does the auto enter function work. If I rename the script file back to its original name the original error does not re-appear but the auto enter still does not work,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @starlir,

It seems this can be a little... quirky. I completely quit 1Password for Mac using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q and then deleted the entire folder the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt sits in. After re-launching 1Password, the first time I re-enabled the Automatically submit logins after filling option it re-created the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder but didn't prompt me. I completely quit 1Password again, re-launched and re-enabled the option. This time it did prompt by opening a standard Open OS X dialog, asking to be pointed to that folder. Now I believe normally it should point to the right folder but as that's maybe not a given...

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open the Go to Folder window.
    2. Paste in the following path ~/Library/Application Scripts/ and click the Go button.
    3. Launch 1Password and attempt to re-enable Automatically submit logins after filling.
    4. If an Open dialog doesn't appear quit 1Password using ⌃⌘Q to quit both 1Password and 1Password mini. Re-launch and try again.
    5. If the Open dialog does appear and it's pointing to the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder then simply click the Select Script Folder button.
    6. If it is pointing somewhere else, drag and drop the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder from the Finder window into the selector bar just to the left of the Search field, see the screenshot below for the part of the window I mean. This action causes the Open dialog to use that folder (sometimes quite a handy trick to know if you didn't already).

At this point you should have a brand new 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt and hopefully without the same problem. Please do keep us informed as to your progress and any observations you have :smile:

• starlir
    starlir
    Community Member
    Options

Once again thanks, the above procedure has worked and everything appears to be back to normal with auto submit of logins now working and a new application script created. It's size is 157 bytes whereas I think the old version was 83 bytes, so maybe it had somehow got truncated?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have to confess, I can't think what or how it would have been damaged as it is - this is a new one to me but at least we got it resolved @starlir. Who knows, it might be one of those one in a million type scenarios or possibly a glitch in El Capitan. At least we have a record of it happening at least once in case others find the same thing. If you notice anything else please do let us know :smile:

• starlir
    starlir
    Community Member
    Options

So after 24 hours the problem is back, out of the blue. Now the above procedure does not work - the folder and script are recreated but the error message regarding the corruption of the script occurs on first execution and auto-fill is not actioned.

• starlir
    starlir
    Community Member
    Options

A further update. I decided to restart my machine and now the script error no longer appears and auto fill is working. It looks like maybe there is a memory leak in Safari? I will continue to monitor and advise.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @starlir,

Thank you for keeping us updated. It does sound like we've got some kind of El Capitan bug going on here. The question is why is this affecting just the one machine as in your original post you said it isn't happening on the MBP. Maybe something got damaged in this particular install? I assume the MBP has been behaving all this time but I figure you would have said if it hadn't. I think it might be a case of observing for a bit longer to see if a pattern arises.

This discussion has been closed.