1Password iPhone to iPad

Dario
edited March 2011 in iOS
A couple of questions concerning an issue I'm having.
Before owning an iPhone 4, I owned an iPod in which I got 1Password Pro. I wasn't aware, nor am I using, any of the desktop applications.

After ditching my iPod and getting my iPhone, I wanted to move all my information from it to my new iDevice, and I did so by simply restoring my iPod's old backup into my iPhone. Now, I have a new addition to my iOS family: an iPad 2.

You see, in this case, I thought it would be a good idea not back up my iPhone's data and just start fresh--that is, until I started encountering some problems with syncing between devices. My iPhone has all my 1 Password Pro data, and I want that same data on my iPad, however I can't seem to figure out how to do that via online means. I really don't want to restore my iPhone's back up in order to get just that one app.

Any help with this issue?

Comments

• Dario
    edited March 2011
    @Stu,

I'im still a little confused on how to use Dropbox as means of Syncing, not to mention completely lacking the knowledge on the Desktop applications.
    As of now, I have downloaded the Windows version, however I can't understand one of the steps.

In order to use the program and sync over with my iDevices, I would have to manually add all my data and passwords into it first, or is there any way to get the data off my iPhone--where all my data is--and into the desktop program?
  • stu wrote:

Dario,

Don't worry, that's what we're here for, to help you get started and answer any questions you have, related to 1Password of course, though I'm sure we can answer the odd general knowledge question too :-)

The Dropbox syncing process is truly two-way, so when you create a new data file in Dropbox using the 1Password for Windows app, you'll have a blank data file. Then, when you sync your 1Password data on the iPhone with Dropbox this data is pushed into that empty file which you can then tell your iPad to sync with.

My colleague David, our resident Windows guru, has created a wonderful guide on how to get your data from your iOS device, in this case an iPhone, to Windows using Dropbox and you can find this here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_Windows/iOS-to-Windows.html

Once you're happy that your data is in 1Password for Windows, just setup Dropbox syncing on your iPad and you should see all your data come across.

Hope that makes some sense, please do yell at me if not :-)

Okay, I think I have followed all the steps and so far and I think I got Dropbox to sync between devices.

Now I've encountered another problem during the process: "Problem loading 1Password data file" error. It asks for a specific key data file.
  • Nevermind, it's working now! Don't know exactly what I did, but apparently everything has been installed.

Thank you so much for the help!
This discussion has been closed.