"New item" list

Options
marlene
marlene
Community Member

Are lists under "new item" actually folders? There's "Credit Card' but none for debit cards.
I need to select new folder and create Debit Cards in there?
What's the difference between folders and smart folders?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 530029
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:New item list

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @marlene,

Do you mean "All items"? If so, this is essentially a built-in Smart Folder - it shows you all of your items in the Vault.

The Credit Card category supports various types of credit and debit cards. Create a new credit card entry, and have a look at the various Types available.

See my replies also to your other related post.

• marlene
    marlene
    Community Member
    Options

I have Visa Credit card and Visa Debit card. Visa is listed in "Types" but does not differentiate between the two types of cards. Where else do I make note a card is a Debit card?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Credit cards is a general category. I use it not only for my credit card but also for my debit card. The item heading for my debit card simply says Visa debit card so it's very easy to tell which card is which. You can call your item whatever you like.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marlene,

The 'new items' list is showing you all of the types of items you can create, from Logins to Credit Card entries to Secure Notes, anything that you want to add to 1Password. As Stephen says, you can include your debit cards in the 'Credit Card' category as well. We're looking to re-design this category to make it more clear that all cards can be included here.

Does this help?

• marlene
    marlene
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thank you all! (Been tied up with other projects and had to put 1Password on the back burner. Now back to work here.)

• marlene
    marlene
    Community Member
    Options

Megan -- After the "re-design" is done, will my 1Password app be automatically updated?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marlene,

As you're running version 5.3 I would say you're one of our Mac App Store customers. If I'm correct in that deduction then the App Store application will notify you of any new updates to 1Password for Mac and depending on your App Store preferences it will either download and update automatically or you will have to enter the App Store app and initiate the update.

As far as the items in your vault goes though, we won't touch those so they would have to be manually altered after whatever update allows for more choice in the cards. I'm not aware of any way we could determine if a card was a Visa credit card or Visa debit card and so the only safe option is to leave the data alone.

Unless I'm missing it, I don't think anybody explained the difference between folders and smart folders. Standard folders are just like folders in OS X. You create and name them and then you manually stored items inside. An item can only exist in one folder and folders can be nested - all very much like OS X folders. A smart folder is merely another term for a saved search. The concept is if you perform the same search over and over again or would like to know if any item suddenly matches a certain criteria then a Smart Folder is what you would be interested in. Two Smart Folders I tend to keep include one for conflicts and another for if an item has attachments. Coupled with the Show item count in sidebar option in the General tab of 1Password's preferences and you can see at a quick glance if a recent synchronisation caused an unexpected conflict at all.

Pages of possible interest from our guide:

If you have any follow up questions at all please do let us know :smile:

• marlene
    marlene
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! Be sure to let us know if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.