Mass Password Change

huffalumpy
huffalumpy
Community Member

There are two kinds of ugly hacks: 1) zillions of users affected, 2) WordPress or some other setup gets done, so zillions of MY passwords are affected. Of course, sometimes 1P knows and notifies us that a vulnerability in a site is detected. OK, 1P, go fix all of them, so I don't have to. I create and store all of my passwords using 1P, so 1P knows when my passwords were created and modified, etc. and for whom. I could even say "just tell me, afterwards", and we're done.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@huffalumpy: Wouldn't it be nice! :love:

Unfortunately there are some significant hurdles at this time, but I think this is essentially the Holy Grail of passwords: automating anything headache-inducing. But any time we automate something like this, it really has to be foolproof and at least as reliable as doing it manually or we're just making more work for ourselves.

The biggest problem is that 1Password has no idea where the 'password change' form for a given website is. After all, you didn't use that page to create the account, and you probably don't use that page to login either. And frankly half the time even I can't figure out where to change my password in any reasonable amount of time (I'm looking at you, Common Credit Card Company!)

The good news is that the trend over the past 10 years has been toward better standards compliance (with notable exceptions of course), so hopefully something like this will be achievable someday. Here's hoping! :)

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

See the thread I proposed (that you commented on) regarding 1P users being able to share recipes and the like. It starts with you folks deciding to make it happen.

Think about Waze. It doesn't take every single driver getting involved. It takes just having enough people on the same road.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

See the thread I proposed (that you commented on) regarding 1P users being able to share recipes and the like. It starts with you folks deciding to make it happen.

I believe this is the thread you're referring to, regarding password recipes. ;)

Think about Waze. It doesn't take every single driver getting involved. It takes just having enough people on the same road.

That's an interesting analogy. I don't think I would have thought of that myself! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.