Add or Customize Categories

NMCajun
NMCajun
Community Member

Help us help you!

• I’m using 1Password version #: 4.2
  • On a (Mac/PC/iOS/Android): Android
  • Syncing with other devices (list them): Not yet - but intend to Sync with iMac desktop

(Please provide as much detail as possible, but remember—this is a public forum. Please don’t share personal information like email addresses or passwords.)

I have read many of the comments on Play Store regarding the issue of Categories on 1Password. However, I have not seen any response from Agilebits with answers. I have used SplashID Safe Pro for quite a few years, but have been impressed by the reviews of 1Password. So I downloaded the FREE version with an intent to go the whole route. But in using the App with the Premium Trial version I was very disappointed that it had so few categories and even more surprised that we do not have an option to create custom categories. So my question is whether Agilebits is seriously considering adding any Categories or making it possible for us to add our own custom categories? If so, is there a projected date for this version to be out? Thank you. Brad

PS: I have absolutely no idea how to use this site - so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place. I just need some answers.

Comments

• Hi Brad! Welcome to our forums! :)

Thanks for trying out 1Password. We don’t have any immediate plans to introduce custom categories into 1Password on Android but it is something that has been brought up in the past. Currently, 1Password on iOS, Mac and Android share the same list of categories and it’s important for us to stay consistent among other platforms. We will review this feature request for all platforms and we really appreciate your feedback. If there are particular categories you are looking to have, please let us know and I will pass that information on to our developers as well.

At this moment, we offer folders support that allow you to group specific items into folders. We also have custom fields that allow you to add a new field with a custom name and custom type to your item.

I hope that helps answer your questions! Please let us know if you have any others.

• zmrotu
    zmrotu
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Rambling Rants from Planet Zargon....

RE: Agile Rhetoric about "Custom Categories".. Seems hundreds if not thousands of users have been clamoring for the additional feature to create one's own custom categories... and this has been going on for YEARS! But Agile only says "Yes we hear you.. and we understand your pain!" [ Sounds like Clintonese to me] . >_< But hey, they hold all the cards and it's their game. I just don't appreciate the way they are playing this one. Obviously [you] have no intention of including logical, valuable features that your users want and need... so Just tell us the truth!!! Tell us to go pee-into-the wind! since there is a "snow-ball's chance in hades" that this feature will ever be forthcoming. JUST COME RIGHT OUT AND TELL US THE TRUTH! :|
    Of course in the mean time.. it's still the best APP for it's purpose on the MacOS. :) And I too am a captive and have no desire to go "learn" another program or transfer info one line at a time. :p

Having said all that: Go ahead "MAKE MY DAY!" Please prove me wrong and add this feature NOW!!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Hi @zmrotu,

If you've already been reading the other forum posts about this issue, I doubt I can say much more than you're already aware of, but I'll do my best!

I do sincerely apologize for the frustration that you're feeling. Here's the situation: there are limitations with respect to the current (agilekeychain) format. There's just no easy way to tack on a few extra categories. Now, we are working on moving away from the agilekeychain format, but the change involves some significant work on the backend, which means it is no simple task. As Saad mentions above, it is important to maintain consistency between all the platforms that we offer 1Password on, so big changes such as additional/custom categories require great consideration and coordination.

In the meantime, we are listening to users' requests and considering how we can build a category structure that is more flexible and user-friendly for you all. Beyond that, I really can't say more, not because this isn't a high priority for us (it is!), but because we make it a point to not discuss unreleased features. This is done so that we're not making promises that we can't keep. There are so many factors involved in the development of a major new feature, and many of those factors are beyond our control. If we were to share some details about a feature that later became impossible, we'd let down a lot of users, and we just don't think that's a good way to run a business.

I know this probably isn’t the answer you were hoping to hear, but I hope this helps to explain things a bit better. We’re happy to continue the conversation if you have any further questions.

• zmrotu
    zmrotu
    Community Member

Well, suffice it to say; I will not be holding my breath on this one.
    Would be nice if there was ONE more category: MISC or CUSTOM, where one could have the ability to "add a field", choose from a boiler plate "format" for instance, "Number" or "Text" or "Phone" or "Address" etc., etc., etc ... so we could "build" a logical "template" for our personal and oh-so varied data. For instance.. I recently needed to provide a copy of my DD214 to a Government agency. Not all of the data was needed but there is particular information that I needed to transfer to a form. Having the data in accessible fields with a "Copy" option would have been desirable, but no such option was available in 1Password. I of course did save it as a scanned PDF image in a secure note. But then I still have to transfer the data manually, line by line. Then there is a list of all my email accounts, of which I have many. Or the list of medicines that I need to refill on a regular basis. or the Data for my Amateur Radio License and other "Certificates" of varying kinds. Memberships that are NOT frequent flyer or store cards or reward cards... and the list goes on and on.

ONE simple customizable "Category / Form" is that too much to ask?

Me thinks there are just too many lawyers in the way.

• SMSW
    SMSW
    Community Member

Add my name to the list of users clamoring for the ability to add custom Categories. 1Password seems to be the secure go to place to lodge sensitive data - such as account numbers and info for my business accounts. Most recently I wanted a safe place for my membership number to a well known camping/adventure outfitter. Seems to me that someone was shortsighted designing 1P - how could you not realize that people have needs to store all kinds of sensitive data and your wonderful program would end up as the repository for all of it?

So design another program - call it 2Passwords - I'd buy it in a second!

• I'll definitely go ahead and add your votes for custom categories, and thanks for the feedback. :)

As Megan pointed out, the current format we use (agilekeychain) doesn't make it easy to add custom categories. However, we have begun making the major, under the hood changes that will move us away from agilekeychain.

That said, we're aware that this is important to our users, and have prioritized it as much as we can. Thanks for your input and let us know if you have any other feedback or suggestions!

• bzengo
    bzengo
    Community Member

I'm also adding my vote to the need for a Custom Category setting.

I manage THOUSANDS of computers. While they all have administrative passwords, we can't let everyone access them with admin control. I need to be able to assign individual passwords to named devices. Sometimes 10 or 20 specific username/password combinations depending on what analysts need to jump on that specific box.

That's my professional need.

Personally, I want a category for my own MacBook Pro, my iPhone, iPad, and all the various devices and ITOT devices which accumulate like weeds blowing against the fence in the Arizona summer wind.

You folks are wonderful but heed the many cries for help - this is needed. More and more every day. Thank you.
    PS. No need to reply. I know... you don't announce future features and this is an important (high) priority. Yeah, I know. Just... fix it already. Please!

• peri
    edited May 2015

Hey there! I know you said, " No need to reply," but I just wanted to thank you for the feedback. I'll add your vote for custom categories as well. :) Thanks!

• ahaermeyer
    ahaermeyer
    Community Member

I would very much like to see a category for Sim Cards so PIN numbers and PUK numbers can be recorded.

However, if you included a provision for customisation of categories, we could do this, and more, ourselves.

I really don't understand why it is that hard.

• Thanks for the feedback! I'll certainly add your vote for the categories you mentioned, as well as for custom categories. :)

As to why it's difficult to add custom categories, please see Megan's post here.

Let us know if you need anything else! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.