Importing data from LastPass - any update?

Hi. I have used 1Password for my iMac for years, but had switched to using Chrome about a year ago and since, at that time, 1Password didn't support Chrome, I started using LastPass.

I just bought 2 new PC Laptops and, in reality, I don't care for LastPass nearly as much as 1Password, I purchased 1Password for my laptops. After a bit of work I was able to load up the data from my iMac using dropbox, but I haven't been able to figure out how to load my LastPass data. Upon looking in these forums I saw an older post about 1Password not being able to load LastPass data, but I was wondering if that had changed by now. Being able to import data, since there's so much of it, is really important.

What is the status of this issue? If I am now able to load my LastPass data into my Windows 1Password, how is it done?
Thanks!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    EquiPro, welcome to the forum!

If LasPass includes the ability to export its data to a tab-, comma-, or semicolon-delimited text file, you should be able to import the logins into 1Password for Windows. Note that that says "logins": 1Password for Windows currently imports only logins; notes, identities, and other items either won't be imported or will be imported as if they were logins (with less than desirable results).

We know 1Password needs to be improved in this area, and I hope we'll get to it sooner rather than later.

It sounds like you have access to a Mac running 1Password, too, though. If so, you can copy the LastPass export file to your Mac, import it into 1Password for Mac, and let Dropbox sync the new imported data over to your PCs. 1Password for Mac has much more robust import (and export) functionality.

I hope that helps, Equipro. Let us know how it goes!
  • EquiPro
    edited March 2011
    Hey! Thanks for the welcome!
    I DID try to export the info from LastPass but what I got was weird. It will export the data to a csv text file, sort-of. What it does is open a new browser window with all of the data inside of it as csv text. Should I copy all of this text into a txt file, then try to import it into my mac 1Password? I'll try that, if that might work....
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Is LastPass a standalone application? If so, it seems odd that a "save as" or "export" command would open a browser window. :blink:

Anyway, if you're looking at the data in a browser, what's the file extension in the address field? If it's .txt or .csv, you can probably use the browser's "save" command. If the filename ends with .htm or .html, though, you'll have to save it, open it in a text editor, and carefully clean out any HTML code, leaving only the delimited text.

You can see an example of an importable delimited-text file's content under "Delimited text" in the How do I import data into 1Password for Windows? topic in the FAQ section of the user's guide.
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    DBrown wrote:

Is LastPass a standalone application? If so, it seems odd that a "save as" or "export" command would open a browser window. :blink:

DBrown, LastPass is not a stand alone application. It is a browser extension with online backup. Their premise to to have browser extensions that encrypt/decrypt all of your data locally using your username and password and then upload that file to their servers. They don't retain any username or passwords on their servers though. You can then access your passwords from anywhere with an internet connection or offline copies of your vault on your computers/mobile phones. It is a nice service, but I prefer 1Password for convenience and wonderful UI. So, I made the jump last year.

EquiPro, it sounds like you are almost there. I would recommend using their Firefox extension to export your logins:
    1. Choose to export in a text file (LastPass will use the CSV format). You can then copy and paste this information into text document using notebook. Change the extension from .txt to .csv to stay consistent with the format.
    2. 1Password will only bring in your login items though. LastPass will export your logins and secure notes. The secure notes will be located at the bottom of the file that was just exported. You will have to delete or move that information into another file and enter it manually into 1Password to retain it.
    3. Once you have the secure notes information removed from the exported CSV, save that file again.
    4. Open 1Password, go to File -> Import, and navigate to your exported logins from LastPass.
    5. Follow the import dialog to get your login items into 1Password.

That should get your information into 1Password. All of your other information will have to be entered manually since LastPass and 1Password have slightly different approaches to filling forms and storing credit cards, etc. If you have any other specific questions, post them here and I will try my best to help.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the explanation of LastPass, Fooligan!

I'm a little confused by the statement that "They don't retain any username or passwords on their servers" if they "encrypt/decrypt all of your data locally using your username and password and then upload that file to their servers." Do you mean they retain usernames and passwords only in encrypted form?
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

I'm a little confused by the statement that "They don't retain any username or passwords on their servers" if they "encrypt/decrypt all of your data locally using your username and password and then upload that file to their servers." Do you mean they retain usernames and passwords only in encrypted form?

I could try to explain what they do, but it would probably be best to read it from the source here. I may be wrong about the username not being stored on their servers, but I do know that they claim your password is never transmitted to them. They somehow compare and unlock your data using a one way salted hash of your username and password.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Mmmm...salted hash. :D
  • Guus
    edited March 2011
    I had the same issues. I also noted that the CSV export of Lastpass does not export all fields.

What I did is:
    Installed firefox
    Installed LastPass add-in to firefox
    Exported LastPass logins to firefox (you can do this under LastPass tools)
    Installed in Firefox Password Exporter add-in
    Exported the logins data to a csv file
    Import csv file in 1Password.

You may not like the name for the login used in LasPass or Firefox (eulas the full url).
    I imported the aboev generated csv file in Excel. Add a column NAME and created my own names for each login.
    Saved the file and then imported in 1Password. 1Password allows you to link any column in the csv file to the any of their fields.

In this way I got all LstPass data into 1Paswword without losing any.
    Guus
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, Guus, and thanks for that tip!
This discussion has been closed.