TOTP Not Working For My Google Account

Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member
edited July 2015 in iOS

When I tried to log into my Google account today, the TOTP password in 1Password on iPhone and Watch did not work. Moreover, the code generated did not match the number shown in the Google Authenticator app. When I put the barcode into 1Password originally, I saved it in Google Authenticator as a backup. I have successfully used 1Password for these TOTP codes on Google in the past. However, I am only required to do this occasionally. It worked fine with Facebook yesterday.

Edit: My codes for Facebook and Dropbox match in both applications. It seems odd that my Google account would be an exception.

1Password Version: 5.5 (505021)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Penelope Pitstop”,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We’ve done some testing here and regenerating a secret will invalidate all previous secrets. If you edit the login item and take the secret and add it to Google Authenticator, the TOTPs will match.

I hope this helps, but do let us know if you're having any further troubles!

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Hi @Megan

Thanks. Any idea why it seemed to suddenly stop working?

PP

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi Penelope Pitstop,

I wonder if the broken TOTP for your Google account was the result of it being bitten by a bug that temporarily snuck into an earlier 1Password for iOS beta build and was later squashed.

I have successfully used 1Password for these TOTP codes on Google in the past. However, I am only required to do this occasionally.

Could be the bug occurred after your previous successful TOTP usage, with its side effect going unnoticed before your recent unsuccessful attempt.

Presumably you've got it working again now? Sorry I don't have more than speculation to offer for why it had stopped. If something like this happens again we'd be glad to take a look at a redacted duplicate of the item with the failing TOTP and see if that reveals anything about what went wrong. Thanks!

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Could be the bug occurred after your previous successful TOTP usage, with its side effect going unnoticed before your recent unsuccessful attempt.

That sounds entirely plausible. Thanks.

Presumably you've got it working again now?

Yes, it is working now.

Sorry I don't have more than speculation to offer for why it had stopped.

That's no problem. If it happens again then it will be worth investigating.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Glad it's working again and hopefully continues to!

• livjonathan
    livjonathan
    Community Member

Hi @Megan, I was using Google Authenticator on my iPhone and I’m now trying to switch to 1Password ‘One Time Password’ integrated feature. I did it successfully with Dropbox and Facebook but I don’t know how to do it with my Gmail account. Actually how can I get a new QR Code to set this feature in 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@livjonathan: You'll have to get that from Google in your account settings. Just follow the setup process here and 'move to a new phone'. A bit counterintuitive, but it gets the job done. Cheers! :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

You may wish to to add your phone number as a backup number. Well I always do. I also add a backup phone for a relative that is trusted.

In addition to the backup codes Google issues.

Just my setup.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for those extra suggestions, @thightower (Tom). :+1:

This discussion has been closed.