Alternatives to Dropbox sync

13»

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DaveFL,

I'm sure our developers have considered that, although I don't have any information about whether or not that will be supported as a sync service in the future. We do receive a lot of requests to add support for other cloud sync services, and our developers have certainly been exploring options. As Megan mentioned above, there are many factors to consider, and it's more complicated than it may seem, but hopefully we'll have more options for you at some point. I'd be happy to let our dev team know you're interested in Amazon S3. Thanks for letting us know! :)

• DaveFL
    DaveFL
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Well given that Dropbox is built on S3 I'm sure it is possible although probably not as friendly for your average user. S3 is fairly easy to use when done in conjuction with a product like TNT Drive (which actually supports server side encryption for those who are really paranoid).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DaveFL: I'll take 1Password's client-side encryption over server-side any day, but I see your point. The more the merrier! I just wouldn't want to rely on it if someone else has the 'keys to the kingdom', so to speak, as they may be subject to subpoena.

Obviously it isn't something we support currently, but just for the sake of discussion, but Jungle Disk may still have the option of using Amazon S3 as the backend. Amazon S3 is more of a cloud storage solution, and when various products use it for sync'ing data they do a lot of work in software to ensure integrity and reliability, so you don't end up with Frankenstein datasets. ;)

• smazzletoff
    smazzletoff
    Community Member

What's the status of this situation? It's been about a year.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smazzletoff: We currently support iCloud, Dropbox, and Wi-Fi Sync (depending on the platform). Be sure to let us know if there is a particular service you'd like to see 1Password support. We are always exploring our options. :)

• smazzletoff
    smazzletoff
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Google Drive and especially BitTorrent Sync and also Box. Thank you for the very quick response.

• Hi @smazzletoff,

Thanks!

I would love to see BTSync support. Since it is supported on my NAS and my NAS is on all the time, it makes it a better local sync than Wi-Fi for my home setup. I wouldn't have to wake my Mac up to ensure my mobile devices get the latest data.

Box seems to be more supported by a lot of companies that tend to block Dropbox and iCloud, so it makes sense for us to consider this but like a few others, there are some hurdles for us to work around.

Google Drive is a very popular request among our Android users and we would love to get that implemented sooner. Yes, just like Box and others, even Drive has some hurdles for us. Their annual I/O conference is happening at the end of May, hopefully it will have a big update to their Drive APIs that can help us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smazzletoff: Google Drive is pretty popular (like Google itself), so it's definitely something we're looking at.

Personally, while I use and love Google's services, I don't keep anything mission-critical in Google Drive because it's a bit flaky (the OS X client at least), and Google isn't known for their customer support. So I use Dropbox and iCloud for most things (including 1Password). I'm comfortable troubleshooting myself, and most of the time that's enough. But I like knowing that I can get support if I need it. That's part of what my money goes to each month with Apple and Dropbox. :)

• Alex83
    Alex83
    Community Member

I wish to follow up on this thread.

I bought your software and I'm trying to sync it with MEGA. I have created a folder on my Mac which syncs all folders and files that are in my Mega folder on my Mac.

When I try to sync 1password through the sync option (within preferences) with a folder e.g. my MEGA folder on my Mac, it syncs perfectly. I get the file "......agilekeychain" on my synced folder on MEGA. When I open this file from my Mac,, I can login the app and see all my passwords and everything works as it should.

But when I go to the MEGA website on my browser (Chrome) and login there, look up 1password.html, it does not open properly.
    I get an error!
    The error is the following: "A problem occurred when loading the "data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file."

And

"Problem loading 1Password data file
    A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
    Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips."

I clicked on the error link and went through the information provided by you. Went through all the steps explained on this link:_**https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/key-data-file-could-not-be-loaded **_

And yes, my folder/file settings are all on "Write and Read".

And reading it,, it seems like you guys are really into Dropbox and are focussing your attention and your users towards Dropbox mainly. Yes, I have read several threads in the Forum and I am aware that many people that use your software are not happy with this, so I don't want to get into this. But that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me ;)

My question:
    Can you please provide a clear answer / solution to HOW I can open the file that contains all my passwords.
    Please keep in mind that I am trying to open this file on MEGA through my browser.

I'm trying to have my passwords safe on a cloud (MEGA in this case), so that if I lose my computer or have no access to it (e.g. I'm half way across the world with internet but not my own comp.) I can still access my passwords though my browser.
    This is crucial or the whole main purpose of keeping my passwords safe and being able to retrieve them at anything / anywhere when I do have access to internet, is gone!
    E.g. your competitor Lastpass provides this feature ;)

Please help so I can use the advantages of your software to the fullest extend.

Thanks
    Alex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But when I go to the MEGA website on my browser (Chrome) and login there, look up 1password.html, it does not open properly. I get an error!

@Alex83: Indeed, most websites (and the browsers themselves) place restrictions on loading external files (which 1PasswordAnywhere needs to do, since otherwise it's just a plain HTML file), and currently the only site this works on (that I am aware of) is Dropbox. You're not doing anything wrong. MEGA just doesn't support this.

Can you please provide a clear answer / solution to HOW I can open the file that contains all my passwords. Please keep in mind that I am trying to open this file on MEGA through my browser.

This is not possible, and it's not something we can change. You may not like Dropbox, and it's certainly up to your whether or not you use it, but it does have some advantages — one of which being support for 1PasswordAnywhere. We don't have control over anyone else's webservices, or plans to host 1PasswordAnywhere ourselves. Alternatively, some enterprising users have experimented with running their own server to host 1PasswordAnywhere.

This discussion has been closed.