Touch ID: disable for some items?

Options
mwehlou
mwehlou
Community Member

A feature request:
Being able to flag certain items as not accessible only with touch ID, requiring the full master password. Or, alternatively, allow touch ID per vault.
Reason: a few items in my vault have enough info to get at bank accounts and if someone succeeds in faking out the touch ID on the iPhone to unlock it, they'd also be able to unlock 1Password. This makes this a single point of failure.
For 95% of the items in 1Password, that's an acceptable tradeoff for convenience, but there are a few really risky and rarely used items that should not be so "easily" accessible.
As it is now, I can't use touch ID at all because of that. Or I'll have to find another product with equally good security as 1P just for those items and not use touch ID for that one. Except, AFAIK, there is no such product...

Or did I miss something and there is such a feature somewhere in 1P? Or a way of working around it? I tried a separate vault with another master password, but it unlocked along with the main vault with touch ID, no questions asked.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Someone would need to have a copy of your finger print and have your phone with them. You can also use a the pin option as well if you don't want to use the Touch ID.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mwehlou ,

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Back in 1Password 3 for iOS, we did have different 'levels' of security, where you could determine if the item was protected by the Master Password, or just by your PIN (this was pre-Touch ID). However, we've found that a simpler set-up works best: keep all items protected at all times by the Master Password.

Of course, you're right, if you're using Touch ID, there is that trade-off between security and convenience, and you have to determine what the right balance for you is. As Prime mentions, there are a few factors that need to align for Touch ID to be compromised. Many users choose to disable Touch ID on their devices when going through high security areas as an added security precaution, too.

The best advice that I can offer you here is to use a strong Master Password to protect all your data, and perhaps disable Touch ID when you are in situation where you feel that added protection is necessary.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but I do hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.