How do you start over [File > New 1Password Vault]

Options
karrowr
karrowr
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Just paid $25 for upgrade to 1Password4 for Windows (version 7), assuming I could enter all my passwords manually and "start over." But when I open the new program on my desktop, I get a window saying "Your 1Password Vault is locked." I assumed I would be able to sign in with a new master password, but it seems to want my old, forgotten master password. What to do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I re-enter all my data from scratch?

Comments

• @karrowr - to start over with a new vault -

Run 1Password on your Windows PC.
    From the lock screen, click on File > New 1Password Vault.

• karrowr
    karrowr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, LauraR, that worked well. So now I have all my data in 1Password4 on Windows 7. Just loaded 1Password to my iPhone 6 (IOS 8.4.1). How do I transfer the data?

• @karrowr - you can sync your 1Password data between your Windows PC and your iPhone 6 using Dropbox. Here are some guides to help you set this up -

• karrowr
    karrowr
    Community Member
    Options

For the love of God, Laura, can we have a telephone conversation? This is like pulling teeth.

• @karrowr - trust me, I had a tooth pulled last week and this is nothing like that :)

To get your 1Password from your Windows PC across to your iPhone you need to sync using Dropbox. Those guides take you through the steps to set this up. If you would like more detailed help please email us at support+forum@agilebits.com. Once you've sent the email can you post here with the ticket ID as this will help us to keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

• karrowr
    karrowr
    Community Member
    Options

OK, some kind of progress here. I tried using Dropbox, but when I click on the Dropbox icon I get this window
    Clicking on "1Password" gets me nowhere. When I click on the 1Password icon on my PC, I get this:

One curious thing here is that the long number was, I THOUGHT, going to be my absolutely-unforgettable-key-to-everything-master-password but here it is, written out in full. So, anyway, I type that number in, and my 1Password file opens up. Then I click "File" and the only "sync" prompt I see is "WiFi sync" so I click that, and end up syncing with my iPhone. Ah, I think, SUCCESS! But then I open the 1Passport app on my iPhone (using another password I established somewhere along the way (and which is, which is, apparently my "Master Password") and voilà all my entries are there! BUT, when I open these, I see that the passwords are represented by bullets, which kinda defeats the purpose:

On my OLD 1Password on my iPhone, which I used and LOVED for YEARS, I never typed my "master password" to get in, I only typed a four digit PIN.

And so, LauraR, if you haven't tired of reading all this, you can see how confused and frustrating I find all this, and how much I wish AgileBits had a phone line that could talk me through this. I do not understand what is gong on here on so many levels, and if I can't solve it soon, I will give up, try to get my 25 bucks back and keep my passwords in a text file.

• @karrowr - You can use either Dropbox or WiFi to sync your 1Password data between your Windows PC and your iPhone. It sounds like you have successfully WiFi synced.

When you open a 1Password item on your iPhone, the passwords are masked. This is to avoid anyone looking over your shoulder and seeing your password. Tap on the password and you will be able to select 'Reveal'.

You can set up a pin code or use touch id (depending on which iPhone you have) by going to Settings > Security.

We will be very happy to give you more detailed one on one help - please email us at support+forum@agilebits.com. Once you've sent the email can you post here with the ticket ID as this will help us to keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

• karrowr
    karrowr
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, tapping works! Thank you, thank you!! But I still don't know how to set a 4-digit PIN for my iPhone 1Password app. My iPhone6 doesn't have a Settings > Security link, but Settings > Touch ID & Passcode, which allows me to set a passcode to open the PHONE. If I go to Settings > 1Password, I get "Allow 1Password to access "Background App..." or "Use Cellular Data" neither of which seems to be what I want.

• karrowr
    karrowr
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I think I just figured it out. Have to wait 5 minutes before trying PIN.

• karrowr
    karrowr
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, no. I now have a 4-digit PIN to open my iPhone, but when I touch the 1Password icon, it opens right up. I see a place called "New Login" which shows the keyhoe icon and "about:blank", then has a placer for user name and password. Is this where I enter my 1Password PIN?

• @karrowr - Our iOS user guide can be found here. And, please, if you would like more help with this please email and we will be happy to give you more detailed information.

This discussion has been closed.