Lost master password

Options
Stag
Stag
Community Member

Hi I have forgotten my master password mainly because I use the finger scanner on my iPhone which was fine. However I had to re-boot my phone and it now wants my master password which I have forgotten. My data would be backed up on Dropbox, but not to iCloud. The version I have is 5.5 and was wondering if I deleted and reinstalled would this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Stag

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The major difficulty will be that your data from Dropbox is going to require your master password as well. :(

You might find this knowledge base article helpful:

My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

Stephen

• Stag
    Stag
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I have forgotten my master password mainly because I use the finger scanner on my iPhone which was fine. However I had to re-boot my phone and it now wants my master password which I have forgotten. My data would be backed up on Dropbox, but not to iCloud. The version I have is 5.5 and was wondering if I deleted and reinstalled would this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Stag

• Stag
    Stag
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,
    Had a look at the link, but nothing there that helps.
    I didn't realise that the iPhone would look for the Master password once it had been set up for the finger scanner, which was very handy.
    Is there anyway I can get my IPhone to use the finger scanner instead of the master password?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C is correct that access to your data on Dropbox will also require that forgotten master password. There isn't anyway around that, which is part of the security design of 1Password.

Also, anytime your phone is restarted, 1Password will require the master password for renewed access. Only after you enter it will you again be able to use Touch ID.

So if there isn't anything helpful in the article Stephen referred to, you will, I'm afraid, have to start over from scratch. There isn't anyway to open your vault without the master password, and there is no backdoor for entry. Sorry to have to convey that news.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stag: Indeed, the Master Password is always required, as it's needed to decrypt your data. Otherwise that would mean that there was some other means of accessing your data, and that simply wouldn't be secure.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. Like a phone number or postal address, if it’s not correct it doesn’t reach who it’s intended for — or in the case of the Master Password, 1Password doesn’t unlock as intended. There is no backdoor.

1Password is as secure as the Master Password you choose, but this also means that unless it is entered correctly even you will not be able to unlock it. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.